Noogleberry loses suction

Lori

Hi there buddy's!

I'm a relative new noogler with a problem: my cups always lose suction after a couple of minutes. I've had the large domes and they didn't fit so I switched to the medium ones with cup rings and putting them on is not a problem whatsoever but like I said, after 2 or 3 minutes they start to deflate which makes it impossible for me to sleep with them. Any idea's on how to fix this issue?

Love,

Lori

ariadne

No agenda - Just like noogling
Hi Lori
This is a common question - hopefully easily solved. Rub in some good quality body lotion, or coco butter, on the skin which the dome edge will touch - bear in mind it brings in skin from outside its circumference. Try with and without cup rings. Your body gets used to it over a period of weeks and longer, and then you'll be able to use more pressure and it will hold better. Males have problem that body hair prevents suction holding. I use an electric pump to maintain pressure but others manage without. Hope this helps :) A

Lori

Hi Ariadne! thank you so much for you quick answer, you already helped my out a great deal. i switched from body lotion to body oil and this tends to work better for me. Can i ask where you acquired your electric pump?

ariadne

I made it myself (I'm an electronics engineer). I have built one or two for sale in the past - not really pushing that idea now but would help someone who had the skills to build their own. I understand more devices are coming on the market via ebay etc.

ShelaVenna

Hi Ariadne! thank you so much for you quick answer, you already helped my out a great deal. i switched from body lotion to body oil and this tends to work better for me. Can i ask where you acquired your electric pump?
It’s possible to use a breast milk pump with your cups at low pressure for hours at a time as long as the pump is good quality and it doesn’t shut off automatically. Some people claim to have done this, but I don’t remember if any of them were actually sleeping with it on or not. Most breast milk pumps automatically shut off after a short amount of time so you can’t use them while sleeping. I’m thinking of buying a used Ardo Calypso breast pump for this purpose without the milk collection bottles and tubing, because I obviously don’t need them. It’s very inexpensive as long as you only buy the pump and none of the other parts. I haven’t actually tried it yet, so I can’t vouch for it personally, but I have used a cheap breast milk pump with auto shut off for a maximum of 4 hours at a time, and despite getting pretty hot, it still works great. I thought it might burn out from over use, but so far it’s still going strong. I’ve also used a Brava pump for as long as 14 hours total, including 8 hours of sleep, and it works great but it doesn’t pair well with most types of padding, so I do not recommend it. The suction is just too gentle to maintain a seal with thick fluffy padding. My experience with the both of my electric pumps makes me feel more confident that a more expensive Ardo pump might be able to withstand months of heavy use. I almost forgot to mention that you might need to buy different tubing to attach the cups to the pump. Noogleberry tubing is unusually big, so I doubt it will fit, but I don’t know for sure. I have much smaller tubing (don’t know the exact size) and I’m hoping and praying it will fit.

Last edited:

ariadne

Hi ShelaVenna (and Lori!) - interesting adaptation ideas you have. You can get adaptors on ebay for connecting different diameter tubing. If you have a selection of different types of tubing (ebay again!) you can sleeve one inside the other as connector. For your main tubing, look out for flexible food-grade tubing rather than fish tank tubing which is not soft enough for our needs. Pumps are rated by pressure and also by capacity (litres per minute throughput). Lactation pumps have quite a strong pressure rating but relatively low in throughput. Can be OK if you've got a very good seal. For Noogleberry type cups a pump with around 15 litres per minute throughput provides vacuum quickly and maintains it.

ShelaVenna

Hi ShelaVenna (and Lori!) - interesting adaptation ideas you have. You can get adaptors on ebay for connecting different diameter tubing. If you have a selection of different types of tubing (ebay again!) you can sleeve one inside the other as connector. For your main tubing, look out for flexible food-grade tubing rather than fish tank tubing which is not soft enough for our needs. Pumps are rated by pressure and also by capacity (litres per minute throughput). Lactation pumps have quite a strong pressure rating but relatively low in throughput. Can be OK if you've got a very good seal. For Noogleberry type cups a pump with around 15 litres per minute throughput provides vacuum quickly and maintains it.
My cheap breast milk pump creates a seal very quickly and easily. It can creat a seal even with padding that won’t stay sealed with hand pumping. I don’t how it compares to others, but
I’m always open to something better. I’m mainly just worried that breast milk pump will burn out much more quickly than a pump that’s designed to run for many hours a day.

ariadne

Vacuum pumps dont last forever. I think breast milk pumps probably wear out after serving a couple of babies supply of milk! Higher rated pumps last longer. Interesting you are happy with the suction from the milk pump with Noogleberry cups. I've got a commercial milk pump and it doesn't give anywhere near the throughput or maximum pressure that the Noogleberry hand-pump delivers. The Noogleberry pump with pressure gauge enables more accuracy about all this, but maybe you've not got that model.

ShelaVenna

Vacuum pumps dont last forever. I think breast milk pumps probably wear out after serving a couple of babies supply of milk! Higher rated pumps last longer. Interesting you are happy with the suction from the milk pump with Noogleberry cups. I've got a commercial milk pump and it doesn't give anywhere near the throughput or maximum pressure that the Noogleberry hand-pump delivers. The Noogleberry pump with pressure gauge enables more accuracy about all this, but maybe you've not got that model.
I specifically want to avoid high pressure. Very long sessions at a very low pressure is my preferred method. I do it while sleeping. A hand pump may be able to create stronger maximum pressure, but in my experience, the breast milk pump creates a seal much more easily, even at low pressure. I like the accuracy of the gauge, but the airlock cups, waaay back when I still owned them, always slowly lost pressure and fell off while I was sleeping, but that doesn’t seem to happen with my low pressure electric Brava pump (I can’t sleep with my milk pump because it shuts off automatically).

Oh my did my user name from like 10 years ago really just work??? Wow! Shela- when I last turned on my Smartbox with new batteries it did not seem to work from what I recall. Do you have any tips for reviving it? Too bad Brava is now an oven company and no longer NBE.

Rebeyd

Oh my did my user name from like 10 years ago really just work??? Wow! Shela- when I last turned on my Smartbox with new batteries it did not seem to work from what I recall. Do you have any tips for reviving it? Too bad Brava is now an oven company and no longer NBE.
They're coming out with a new device called evebra. They are waiting for the patent still last time talked to them which van take a while.