A little off topic but advice/help needed!

Rachiex

Hi everyone

Sorry if this is a little off topic but I wondered if someone could help m with some 'lady stuff'!! I got a letter the other day saying I needed to book my first smear and I am now both petrified and mortified!! I have no idea what to expect and am worried it will hurt and it will be extremely embarassing! Sorry if this is TMI but I can't ask my friends about this because they're all a few months younger than me so haven't got their letter yet! If anyone who has had it has some advice/ help/ info on what to expect I would be eternally grateful as I am now so worried and putting off booking my appointment which then scares me even more than having it...!

Thanks SO much in advancex

reeree

I was soooo petrified for my first, especially after hearing "horror" stories from my friends! But really, while i don't look forward to it every year, it really isn't THAT bad, at least in my experience. You feel pressure, and like a sharp twinge for a minute. First they'll put a little tool in that holds you open-which is the uncomfortable part-then they use like a big qtip and swab. The couple that i had only took like a min, so i don't know if i'm just lucky they were quick or what. I think it's more of an annoying hurt than a hurt hurt, and feels really cold. Oh, and i always feel like i'm gonna pee!!! Which i'm horrified will happen one time and i will be SOOOO embarrased!!! Don't get too panicked, i think the dread and not knowing is the worse part. I got my first one when i got pregnant with my first son at 21. The nurses all gave me a kinda 'look' when i told them i'd never had one before, which made me more embarrased! I actually am due for mine next month...hmm, forgot that till now. But yeah, don't freak yourself out. Just one more annoyance we have to go through as females ;)

Rachiex,

Do not worry!! Every woman in the UK over a certain age has probably had a smear. The Doctor (or nurse) will have done 100's of smears before and there is absolutely nothiing you have that she hasn't seen before. You will be asked to take your knickers off and lay on the bed while the doctor gets all the equipment ready. They will ask you to ut your knees up, with my first smear I lifted my knees towards my chin, feet in the air, giving the nurse just the worst view of my bits so don't do that - that was embarassing :-[. Keep your feet on the bed and pull your heels back toward your bottom and then let your knees fall open. You will feel awkward and very exposed but just RELAX. The more relaxed you are the quicker and easier it will be. They will use a speculum to enable them to get the sample, it's like a tube that widens. It used to be made of metal which was COLD but now it is disposable plastic so you don't have to worry about that. I agree with reeree. It may well make you feel like you need a wee, I guess because the speculum is restricting. Then the swab is taken which feels a little sharp and uncomfortable but nothing that would make you even flinch really, iy just doesn't feel nice that's all. It doesn't smart too much and again like Reeree said it takes just a minute. It is SO important to do. Phone them, book it and get it over and done with. I promise it won't be bad. Just relax and know that however it feels it will just take a minute. Best of luck ;D

Rachiex

Thank you SOOOOO much for your replies! They really put my mind at rest! It stills like it will be embarassing and a little uncomfortable but at least it doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would and I now know what to expect. I'll have to bite the bullet and book it soon

You're right - the things we girls have to put up with!

Thanks reeree and flatty_natty :D x