New Padding Solution ... YES!!!!

Z

Zenity

This was one of my first posts, here is the thread but I cannot see the pics, I will try to update them later if I can still find them.

http://www.noogleberry.com/forum/index.php/topic,1354.0.html

Paloma said:
Hey Nadir, what is this bra you've adapted for NB?? Sounds intriguing!

M

mariela

Hi Mel. A question. could I use those rings without sticking it to the cup? I wait for your answers. Thanks. Dulce.

C

chloespeaks

Hi All,
I have looked carefully at the whole thread, and the to purchase links, but they all look like they are for british and australian places...I'm in NYC and went to a local AND a Home Depot and could NOT find the plumbing insulating foam WITH rubber coating. The one I have is soft and by Armarall (??!! it's definitely the same company as the one mentioned, now it's just off the top of my head) but does NOT have the coating.

i bought two packs of insulation from differnt places and neither has the rubber outside coating and finally after a great deal of wrestling was able to stick them onto my large dome (only one) by cutting out wedges and hot gluing the ends of the foam together! and because there is no rubber, the air leaks out in very little time (under 1 minute).

Is there a link for the one that everyone has had such good luck with in the US or is everyone finding the rubber coated foam insulation at their local store????

Frustrated,

Chloespeaks

reeree

Phew! I'm not the only one!!!! I've been looking everywhere at my local hardware stores too -Home Depot, Lowes- and have yet to find it! In fact, i can't even find the brand!! :mad: I'm in MS...very frustrating cause it looks like everyone is having good luck with it!!

M

morninghello

So, I just tried to put the 1/2 inch insulation on my XL domes while leaving on the poster tack that I normally use. I didn't want it to be a (semi?)permanent thing with the caulking, so I figured the tack might be able to stand in its place. Results: That ain't gonna work. The foam was way too rippled to fit around in one piece, so I tried sections, but the seams likely would have left marks, thus defeating the purpose of “no marks”. Also, I didn't get the rubber-coated kind of foam, so it all may not have worked in the end anyway.

Since I have the plastic wrap off of the tack now though, I'm taking the opportunity to put on an extra layer of the poster tack. I'm also taking the opportunity to take some pills for the awesome tension headache that an hour of fiddling with that foam caused. Good luck to everyone else!

M

Mumma Bear

Hi there - it's a closed-cell foam so the coating/finish shouldn't make a difference. In fact, I've shaved mine to fit, which takes off the outside finish and it makes no difference. I would think it's leaks coming from an incomplete seal that are leaking - not the foam itself. Silicone does seem like the best way to attach it (and I also used superglue just for positioning), so maybe give that a go?

Lily13

I was very frustrated with the insulation too. I got the insulation from either Lowes or Home Depot. Ultimately my husband figured it out...He's come up with a few new ones (takes the old insulation and silicone off and starts over). Each time they are better and better. It really takes a lot of trial and error. Maybe I'll ask him if there's some sort of secret. I know on the Large domes you'll have to silicone half the insulation on, let it dry and then continue gluing it the next day. That way it doesn't try to buckle up at the very end. Perhaps the XL's are the same way too?

Once it's glued on you'll want to very carefully put a thin layer of silicone on the foam where it will be going on your chest. If you make this bumpy or have edges, it will leave marks on you! However this layer of silicone helps to create more suction and you can easily clean it off too. He also shaved a good amount of the inside so that the inner diameter is nearly the size of the dome and then siliconed that too. You just have to very careful doing this or you'll defeat the whole purpose of the foam.

Lots of trial and error. You'll have to buy mulitple pieces of insulation until you figure it out. I think we are on 5th piece and a 2nd tube of the silicone. ;) Bigger boobs are worth it though...lol

nyx

I think by rubber-coated, itsjust4fun91 meant the soft ones. I live in the US too and thats the one I got at Home Depot. I use medium domes and I have to say, it was really hard getting the foam to get around the rims and stay lol. It just kept trying to pop off. I had a problem with the nipple pressure and so I shaved the inside and it went away...whew! Thought I was gonna have to rip out all my hard work :'( The only problem is that I get marks from the foam and silicone now instead of the domes, but they're not as bad so I'll live with it lol :) Maybe I'll get around to redoing the padding with my leftover foam or smoothing out the parts that are making marks.

itsjust4fun91

Dulce said:
Hi Mel. A question. could I use those rings without sticking it to the cup? I wait for your answers. Thanks. Dulce.

I'm sorry I am just now responding. For some reason I haven't been getting the notifications on post to this thread and with it being the 4th of July weekend, haven't been around much. My youngest birthday falls the day before, so busy busy. Anyway, there are several gals that have posted saying they were able to use it without glue. It does come with built in adhesive strips on the edge of each split in the foam so I'm sure that helps. Since mine are glued I can only go by what others have reported and they seemed to manage just fine.

Mel

itsjust4fun91

nyx said:
I think by rubber-coated, itsjust4fun91 meant the soft ones. I live in the US too and thats the one I got at Home Depot. I use medium domes and I have to say, it was really hard getting the foam to get around the rims and stay lol. It just kept trying to pop off. I had a problem with the nipple pressure and so I shaved the inside and it went away...whew! Thought I was gonna have to rip out all my hard work :'( The only problem is that I get marks from the foam and silicone now instead of the domes, but they're not as bad so I'll live with it lol :) Maybe I'll get around to redoing the padding with my leftover foam or smoothing out the parts that are making marks.

After I shaved mine recently, I ran into a problem with the silicone leaving marks where I had shaved it. Lets just say I got a little sloppy with it. It seemed to be drying much faster this time when I was trying to smooth it out and it just made it worse. I didn't like the effects of the bumpy silicone at all. It left lots of marks even though they would go away in about 30 minutes, I wanted none again, so I peeled the silicone off the shaved areas and have just been using it like that. It doesn't seem to bother the insulation, so I'm pretty pleased with it so far. Back to no marks and wider cups again. This is truly a trial and error fix. And I'm sure it can be done many many different ways, it's just a matter of finding the one that works right for each person, but at least we're heading in the right direction.
Mel

M

morninghello

Hey, all. I previously reported a failed attempt at using the pipe insulation over the poster tack on my XL domes. Well, I went and got the *rubber* foam this time (1/2 inch) and put it on my large domes... and it worked!

I had two layers of poster tack on the large domes already, so that sort of stands in the place of the caulking. I put the foam around the dome and used hot glue and super glue to seal the ends together. I then took off the plastic protecting the adhesive and pressed it to the dome (on the inside and the outside).

Last night I pumped with them for 1 hour 20 minutes (about twice as long as I normally pump), and my results weren't anything special really. I had some nipple pressure at first, like others have mentioned. My swelling seemed about the same or even less than a 40 or 50 minute session with the XLs, which was surprising. I think it might be because I wasn't pumping as hard since the diminished diameter would cause discomfort at a certain point. Because I pumped for so long, I ended up having some ring marks -- wide and slightly red. I removed a dome every 20 minutes or so to check redness, and it seemed fine after an hour so I went another 20 and got some ring marks.

I had been wanting to occasionally pump with my large domes again since I never did fill them and I think it'll be good to get that more outward pull that they give me. I think I'm going to be pumping mostly with the XLs like usual though. Thanks again, itsjust4fun91, for sharing this with us!

M

mariela

sorry it is not working perfectly :(. im was thinking we could make rubber foam or polyurethane rings covered in some material (maybe silicone)

Paloma

Hey all, sorry if I missed this, but - does this padding approach work on the large domes? I bought the materials, but the foam seems pretty thick for the large domes, it tends to buckle a bit when attempting to form it into such a small circumferance circle (dome rim)... maybe that fills out when you add the silicone?

and, thanks itsjust4fun, for being so inventive and sharing... :-*

Lily13

Yes it works on the large domes, but it will take some time, patience and a lot of trial and error. With the large domes you will have to shave the inside to make the inner diameter larger. Just check out my post I made a few replies up from here. You'll have to glue down half the insulation, let it dry and then do the next half a day later.

Perhaps I'll take a picture of my dome if that would help?

M

morninghello

Paloma - I used it on my large domes (I use the XLs normally), and it worked fine. Instead of silicone caulking, I just had a couple layers of poster tack on it. Please see my post a couple above yours for details on it.

M

Mumma Bear

For the Ls it also helps to push the inside bit of foam down and pull the outside bit up - so when it's curled around the rim, the outer edge sits higher than the inner edge. It doesn't buckle up at all when you do it this way.

C

chloespeaks

OMG - everyone please note that there is a huge difference between the insulation foams, largely that one is open cell and the other is closed cell. I could only find the open cell one, which was very very hard to work with and leaked like a sieve.

I'd largely given up on this padding as a solution. Last week, I went to Home Depot to get some screws, and I SAW the other one, exactly like in the jpegs here. It was rubbery and had self adhesive tape. I took it home and didn't even use the silicone inside and it worked great. I just adhereed using the self adhesive that came with the tubing on the inside, cut the foam and adhered on the outside (it went up quite a bit on the L domes). Then used silicone to seal the edges of the cut together and voila, overnight dry and it worked great this morning, except I could see a mark where my boob had to squish to get to the open inside part of the dome that was free of the foam.

next step - shave foam like others have said.

very promising.

chloespeaks

itsjust4fun91

Once it's shaved, it's pretty easy to use your finger and put a little silicone on the inside of the foam then press it against the inside of the domes to help hold it in place.

Mel