New Padding Solution ... YES!!!!

Paloma

Mel, those are great tips! thanks girl, I'm gonna give it another go tonight and I'll post results.

ps: do you happen to know how to remove silicone from your fingers? I ended up using baking soda to rub it off, but maybe there's and easier way...

itsjust4fun91

Once it's dry you should be able to just roll or peel it off. It's kind of like when we were kids and use to let elmers glue dry on our hands. it was messy but once dry would pull right off.

I haven't gotten to working with the broken cups yet. My son is going to have surgery on Tuesday and we've been having to deal with appointments and getting files together. I will still get on this as soon as I get some time to do it.

Mel

Paloma

Oh, ok. yeah - putting your hands under running water just makes it worse! thanks.

Oh wow - I hope your boy recovers soon!

Kat

Hey, I would like to ask something about this padding solution. My first try wasn't so succesful, because the ends didn't fit very good. The insulation I used also seemed to be a little bit too thick. So I tried again with another type of insulation, but I am wondering how I should glue the ends together. It is polyethylene, so very difficult to glue ... the type of silicone I used wasn't good either, it just came off very quickly. What type should I use?
I was also wondering if it could be useful to try to dip the rim (after you're done with the insulation foam) into some liquid latex. I saw you can buy some latex in a hobby store. Maybe it can offer an extra coating for a good seal.

itsjust4fun91

I use plain old silicone. They should all be the same with the exception of if you get an old one that was exposed to cold temps, then it might not set up. Silicone is slow drying and won't hold stuff together until it is dry. That's why I use a piece of tape and tape the ends of my padding together to hold them in place until it dries. I usually go back and remove the tape about 6 hours later, when it should be close enough to dry to hold and then fill in the cracks and gaps where the ends meet and let it finish drying.

As for the latex, I don't see why it wouldn't work. This paddin solution is meant to be adjusted and experimented with to fit each persons needs, so go for it.

Mel

M

mariela

Hi mel, i have questions. What is the diameter of your insultation?
Im a little confused because there are armaflex ac, af, sh, etc. ??? What is type insultation that you have? I wait for your answers.Thank you. Dulce.

P

piccolina

Well I finally gave up on those damn "soft cup rings" and decided to give this a try last night, with the help of my handyman BF. It worked great, only problem is, I definitely see what you mean about needing to shave off some of the insulation on the inside of the cups (did you try pumping without doing that?! Hello tornado boobs and INTENSE nipple pressure! ouch!), but my problem is -- I don't have a CLUE how to go about "shaving" off the foam!! I tried with a nail file... nothing. An exacto knife... no way (left chunks ripped out and nothing else). I am now trying literally shaving it, with a razor. Tiiiiiny little fluff of foam get shaved off, but this does not seem like the way to do it! It will take forever at this rate!

So Mel, or others who have done this successfully, exactly how is it that we're supposed to "shave" these darn things? :-/

P

piccolina

Errr... nevermind. lol. I used a more hardcore nail file from when I got a pedicure and that worked great. Pumped for the first time with the new set up and it felt great!! And no marks!! YAAAY! Thank you for this.

itsjust4fun91

I'm glad you got it to work for you and yes, I too had to find out through trial and error that the nail file had to be a big heavy duty one. In fact it worked well enough that I accidently filed a hole in the foam. I patched it with silicone, but now everytime i pump I have a little circle mark where the patch it. LOL

Mel

itsjust4fun91

Hey Paloma!!!

I've been messing with the broken cup to see what can be done and I was curious. The cup you are wanting to use, is it just cracked or is the rim broke off in a section now? The one I have the rim is broke off. getting the foam on wasn't easy but I did it, but the problem is it takes up so much room in the cup that you have no choice but to shave it off. Once I did this, the section with the broken rim just wants to rip right through the thin edge of the foam and silicone that is left.

If it didn't need to be shaved it would probably work fine, but for me I couldn't use them at that diameter, so it wouldn't work. Sorry it took so long for me to try this out, but my house stays a madhouse with three boys and always something going on. Thanks for the well wishes for our middle son. He did great and is recovering just fine.

Mel

M

mariela

Hi! I'm thinking of sticking with the silicone the insulation...I have fears that by the time the foam is being crushed and damaged (due to the use) :-\

M

mariela

Mel, what is the diameter of hole of your insulation? i wait for your answer. Thank you. Dulce.

itsjust4fun91

It's been so long I couldn't remember either. Thank goodness, I wrote it down at the beginning of this thread in the directions section. It's 5/8 ID, but I think different ID's would work. good luck,

Mel

M

mariela

itsjust4fun91 said:
The second suggestion I would make is one I'm going to try this time. Instead of trying to put the pieces together straight onto the cup. I'm going to get a tube of tough as nails silicone glue and glue the ends together first without putting them on the cup. I'm going to put the glue on the ends and them tape them to hold until it dries. Once dry I think I may be able to just fill the inside of the tube with the silicone and then sit the cups down inside of it and it should be waaaaaay less of a mess.

Mel, do you tried it? worked?

itsjust4fun91

I haven't had to replace my padding yet, so haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm still convinced it will be alot les messy doing it that way. This padding just last so long you don't have to mess with it very often if it's glued properly so that it doesn't slide around or more and wear it out.

Mel

M

mariela

I have the foam on the cups now. :) how much do you shave the inside? do you let some milimetres of foam? I have fear of shaving too much and it will not work :-\

C

chloespeaks

Hi Mel!
It's been awhile but I'm back to try it again. Just wanted to add a few comments on my experience with the foam which might help someone. I don't use the silicone to fill the gap btwn the interior diameter and the cup at all, only to stick the outside edge to the cup. I DO however use a type of foam that has self-adhesive on the cut edge and that does a Great Job on getting the inside stuck onto the cup w/out much fuss.

Also, when I stopped a year ago, I washed them well and put them away and the foam actually is still good! I use almond oil to pump and I was surprised at that. I thought the foam might be degraded.