newbie's first pump - is it normal to lose suction every five seconds

WillGrowBBs

I am so excited! just got the NB tonight and tried it out for the first time. I have the double pump with medium domes and foam rings. When I pump the breast swells then I feel it loosen like the air is releaseing after a few seconds so I pump a few more times. I do this every few seconds with stronger suction each time. It feels like it might be too much pressure. I kind of also have to hold the dome a litte. I did off and on for 15 minutes as the directions on the sheet that was included said to do. Is this normal? Or should the suction ideally stay longer like a few minutes or so or until I hit release button? Thanks just want to make sure I'm doing this right!!! :)

Also, I folded the silicone tube to the other pump per directions on sheet because I only want to focus on one breast for now. Thanks again!

Anastasia916

When I first started I tried the rings and that happened to me as well. Then I pumped without the rings and have been pumping without rings since. With the rings I would lose suction easily. Without them I don't lose it at all, I have to press the release button to release pressure. Hope this helps and good luck!

emilybug

when i started 4 months ago, i couldn't keep the domes on. i used the rings but this means pumping every 10 seconds or so. they are a little more comfy but i'm now used to the domes without rings and it ok. i don't have any trouble getting suction and no more red marks (which i totally got for the first 2 months). weird how that goes away.
it really does get easier!!
good luck!

WillGrowBBs

Been pumping now for a week. Anastasia. I took off the rings and after a week's time, the suction is starting to hold :) I held on for several minutes tonight. Thanks to you both for the tip!