Ive just discovered facebook

J

jellyDeeeee

Girls, guys Im having so much fun on facebook and never new how quickly a comunity /network can grow. its so much fun ... jelly...

E

Eman

That's cool, JellyDeeee; however, with my experience using MySpace, I got discouraged and left after a couple of years. But you're right--Facebook is really nice, but I'm a Blogger person.. ;D

H

hopefulgurl

Just a warning, facebook can be very addictive!!! I spend way too much time on it. hehe

E

entropiana

Facebook is great. It helps me keep in touch with friends and family, especially nowadays when everybody changes cities, countries even continents every couple of years.

However, I am having an issue with it lately. My boss has invited me to be her friend and i haven't accepted yet. Normally i am very friendly with all my co-workers and don't have indiscreet things that i would like to hide; however i do have private things i dont want my boss to see. Another reason that i haven't accepted her invitation yet is that she gossips a lot on everyboday starting from outfits to boyfriends, to friends to where people ate lunch the first week of december last year...etc etc. I feel that if she sees my stuff she will portray it not in the right context and tell everybody about my life.

She has even gone that far to ask when i am going to add her since she cant wait to start writing in my wall. I am planning to tell her if she brings the topic up again that i prefer to keep professional life separate from private life...

Ladies, any advice? I feel she is being too pushy... :-\ I would appreaciate your thoughts on different approaches i can take.

Thank you,

K

kultzu

Hi entropiana,

Open a new account on facebook where you have nothing private on . Tell her, your old account is no longer valid and ask her to invite you again with the new one.

Hope this helps,
Kultzu

H

hopefulgurl

Hi entropiana!

I know how you feel. I have had some people request to add them as friends whom I really rather wouldnt want to add. What I did was just put some restrictions on what they could see on my profile. For example, certain albulms and tagged pictures of me as well as my wall I selected as private so that they could not view them.
I completely understand you not wanting your boss having access to your private life. Especially considering her personality.
Good luck!

E

entropiana

Thank you Kultzu and Hopefulgurl...I havent confirmed or ignored her request yet. Let's see if she brings it up again and then i will decide what to do about it.

I don't want to discourage anybody else, so i have to say that i have been catching up with friends, cousins and people i knew back in my home country and i havent been there over 8 years so Facebook helps me not loose contact with all of them.

L

Lululu

If I get a friend request from someone I don't know very well I add them to a friend list I've called aquaintances - then I exclude everyone on that list from seeing my wall, my photos, my videos - you can even hide your status updates if you want to although I haven't done that. - If you go into the settings on Facebook and look at Privacy settings you can look at your profile as if you were the other person and see what they would be able to see. If you want to check this out first, set up the friend group with one friend who you already have in it - go to everything you don't want your boss to see and for each photo album do custom setting, some friends and then make sure you put NONE of my networks, SOME friends and then you can exclude the aquaintances list - once you have done that view your profile as the friend you've temporarily put in there and if it looks OK then add your boss and make sure they are in the list (and take the other friend out) - your boss won't be able to see all your details so just say you don't go on Facebook that much but at least she wont be offended that you refused to be her friend! 8)

E

entropiana

Thank you Lululu, that's a really good feature and i wasnt aware i could customize that much...So far i have blocked her and when she looks for me now, she doesnt see my account at all and when she asked i said that i have temporarily disabled my account because of some worrisome messages. Every couple of days she mentions something like "when you get back to facebook check this person out how he/she parties...i didnt know this guy was a happy hour person....i didnt know this girl is so flirtatious...u should see the naughty pics from the girl that sits 10 cubicles down...lol and so onnnnnnnnnnnnnn"....