Progress with penis pump after a laparoscopic radical prostatectomy

enforcer

I am 60 years old and was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year. After a laparoscopic radical prostatectomy in December 2010, I was discharged from hospital after 2 days and have made good progress since then.

I had always had a good sex life with no erection problems whatsoever prior to the operation. However, by the end of April 2011, I had been unable to get an erection at all. My doctor had prescribed Tadalafil but this had no effect whatsoever and simply gave me severe indigestion and heartburn so I stopped taking them.

After coming across the Noogleberry site and forum on the web and after discussion with my wife, I ordered the Vacuum pump and started using it in May 2011 for about 10 minutes each day without trying the rings. Within a few weeks I found that after stimulation, I was beginning to get a partial erection without using the pump.

I have been using the system now for nearly six months for only 10 minutes each day and am now at the point where my erection is almost firm enough to resume intercourse. I have used the tension rings on a few occasions to maintain a firm erection for intercourse and they certainly work, but personally I have found them rather uncomfortable so I am concentrating on using the pump simply to condition the blood vessels and blood supply. We both feel that we will soon be able to resume normal intercourse as my erection continues to improve.

As regards increase in penis size, I am not using the device for this purpose as at 16cm, I have never felt the necessity for a larger penis and using it for 10 minutes each day is unlikely to make any difference anyway to the size. I am just happy that my cancer was detected early and that I am recovering well and have a supporting wife. I feel that regaining firm erections is now a bonus.

I would like to thank staff at Noogleberry and would recommend this device for anyone who was in the same position as myself, or who would perhaps prefer not to take medication for ED. I understand that some devices for ED similar to the Noogleberry system can cost upwards of £200 so would just like to say that the Noogleberry system is superb value for money.

Update, 28th June 2012

I feel it is time to give an update on my use of the Noogleberry system.

I have now been using the Noogleberry system for a full year. (10 minutes a day, 5 days a week). I find that I now get a full erection with stimulation, but I am still unable to maintain the firmness required for intercourse without resorting to the pump and rings. Also for anyone who may be interested, I have not noticed any significant increase in penis size, but more importantly, thankfully there has been no reduction in size as I understand this happens after such operations if the penis is not used and allowed to become erect at regular intervals. (penile atrophy). I understand that this is why a normal healthy adult male has nocturnal erections which can last for an hour or two each night, even though he may be unaware of it. I have had no such nocturnal erections that I am aware of since my operation.

It is 18 months since my prostatectomy so there is still the possibility of improvement in the next 6 months as the time period for improvement can be up to 2 years. However, I fear that perhaps the nerve damage during the operation was such that erections will never be quite the same. In the meantime, I will continue using the pump and rings and if things don't improve, may consider trying Tadalafil again although I am reluctant to return to using medication.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else who has had the same operation has regained full and lasting erections, as I have been unable to find much useful information on the prostate cancer forums regarding this.