Some Poster Tack/Padding Tips

M

morninghello

Hey, folks. I’ve been using poster tack to cushion my XL cups for about five months now, and I think it’s a great way to pad the rims and spread the pressure out more. Here are some things I’ve found.

I cover the tack in clear plastic wrap (the kind you use to cover leftover food or something). This helps avoid getting slimy tack all over your skin (particularly necessary since I like to use a lot of lotion and oil). I use two pieces of wrap (per cup) that are about five inches wide and the length that the wrap is when cut off of the roll. Make sure to pull the wrap tight so there aren’t too many ripples. Also smooth the tack pieces down so they are blended together. When you first use them after adding the wrap, you may have trouble keeping suction for that session, but every time I’ve redone the tack and wrap, it’s only the first session that I have issues with it. By using the plastic wrap, you don’t really have to replace the tack since it stays dry and clean. Just reshape the tack and replace the wrap (what a slogan!).

To make the domes a little smaller, for transitioning to the next size cup or if a size is too large for your frame, putting the poster tack around the inside of the rim rather than just on the rim is very helpful.

If part of the dome is digging into your armpit area or somewhere, place some of the tack on the outside rim to cushion the edge.

If you can’t find the gummy type poster tack (usually blue or white), or you just want to try something firmer, molding clay is another option. The kind that comes in a bunch of different colors that you bake is harder but still moldable.

Any other tips or things you’ve tried? Hope these were helpful!

S

sissy2345

Hi there, these post are so good, but unfortunately they tend to get lost in the pages over time. I hope everyone will share their tips, I think that even though they have been told before, sometimes there is a new take on an old trick or we pick up on something missed before.

I also tried the blue tack, and it did work well to keep the ring marks to a minimal, and what marks did remain would go away in an hour, as opposed to 3 hours without. My problem was that it kept creeping into the domes and I was going through alot of it. I still have some left, so I will try it again with plastic wrap like you suggest next time I change my padding.

Here's my tip. Someone here suggested weatherstripping, but I bought several different brands and it didn't work for me. What I found was "camper mounting tape". Its says it's vinyl foam, and I just put two layers of it around the domes. It cushions great, and like the blue tack, the rings go away in less than an hour. Sometimes I have to add a third layer on the 5th day or so, and that will get me by another few days, then I remove all the layers, clean the domes, and reapply fresh tape. One roll last me about a month. I found it at Lowes and it's $5.80 a roll and in the weatherstripping section. I honestly don't know if I could have kept my 3x daily pumping schedule without it through the summer. The pain I could actually endure, but those ring marks are hard to hide in summer clothes.

Tina

I have been having MAJOR diffficulty in this area!

I have tried playdoh, but as soon as the pressure increased the playdoh got squished flat and the cups were on my ribs with no cushioning.

I tried model clay, but that dried out quickly and also got squished in once I kept pumping.

Ofcourse, I tried the foam rings, but those got stretched out in no tim to glue the leaving the cups pressing very hard on my ribs. I didn't want to glue them on as I didnt know if they would get stretched out the same way.

I tried silicone gel/glue, that was a disaster! Plus it was not even so I couldn't get any suction.

I bought a camping mat, it seemed to work at first but then I got these deep red marks, so I stopped using it.

Now I just pump with the bare cups, which does not allow me to pump for very long at all. If there was any suggestions for this GREAT product I would say to make some sort of a cushion on the cups, even if it cost a little more for the system. My main problem is not being able to pump long enough, like I have almost all day to pump. If I could pump more I would see faster results.

I also bought weaterstripping but the way the tape was on the foam it didnt work for the cups, so I brought it back.

I got so sick of buying new things that didnt really work so I gave it up on trying to find something. If anyone has tried anything that has worked I would love to hear.

S

sissy2345

Tina, you really should try that camper mount tape I mentioned. I was just where you are now, I had tried everything suggested. The only thing that worked was the blue tack, but I was going through so much of it, it would have cost a fortune to keep using it, plus it was messy for me. This stuff is not weatherstripping, but it's in the weatherstriping section. I found it by accident, I could not take the rings anymore, so I went to Lowes and spent about $100 and just bought one roll of every different kind they had, tried them all and this one was the only thing that worked. It's only $5 something, so worth a try.

Z

Zenity

Gosh!

I wish I was aty the States... Anyones knows a similar stuff easy to find/order at the net or at the UE?

Thanks!

Tina

Hi Sissy,

I am tried everything suggested except for blue tac, only because I tried playdoh and model clay without success. I don't know what camper mount tape is. Can you explain it? Or maybe some pics? I will try to do a search online to find pics. Also, I am not in the U.S so I don't have a Lowes here. Not sure where I would get it.

Thanks

S

sissy2345

I tried to find a link to mine, but I can't find the exact thing online. I don't want to give you a link to what I think it might be and have it be the wrong stuff. I'm sure if you went to your larger home stores, they would have something comparable. The difference between this and weather stripping is that this is a vinyl foam, rather than just a foam. It comes in the same type roll, And it specifically says "camper mounting tape". I tried the foam ones and they didn't work for me. As far as the blue tac, that might be easier for you to find, and it did work for me also, but I didn't think to use plastic wrap over it. I couldn't find the brand name blue tack, but mine was the same stuff just called blue stick. I know how expensive it is to try things out and find they don't work for you, I bought a $20 mat and spent hours trying to make it work, and $100 on different tapes until I finally found the right one. My house will be sealed up tight this winter I guess cause I have at least 10 pkgs. of different weather stripping with only about a foot used.

Tina

LOL! At least you found a use for them all!

I have spent quite a bit of money already trying to find this that work. I was going to buy a foam sheet and just cut circles, that may be my last resort.

About the blue tac, does it get squished into the cups with pressure? That was the problem I had with the playdoh and model clay. They would squish either into the cup or out of the cup, leaving no support after a few minutes.

The other problem I had with the weatherstripping is where the sticky part was located. It was made in such a way that the foam would end up going around the side of the cups instead of the bottom.

Thanks for replying and I wil try anything to get some comfort and be able to pump longer!

M

morninghello

Oh, my goodness... camper mounting tape! :eek: I finally tried it today, and I think I have given up my poster tack. I pumped for 40 minutes earlier with two strips on each XL dome, and the only marks I had after was a slight mark from the outer edge of the tape. Besides that... no redness, no indents AT ALL. I was absolutely shocked. I had great swelling, but the lack of marks made it look like I hadn't pumped in hours.

I'm pumping again right now and I have readjusted the tape so that the edge won't press into my skin (it was just on the upper part). If I can remedy that, I'm going to be able to go straight from pumping to being able to leave the house in something that shows my chest a bit more. Most of my clothing doesn't show where ring marks/indents would be anyway, but it's really nice/amazing that I'll be able to do that if I want. Thanks so much for the suggestion, Sissy, and for all your trial and error! I recommend weather stripping to everyone!

cleo

Are you still able to maintain suction when you use this tape on the domes? I'm really not getting on with the foam rings but the red marks/indentation is totally frustrating me as it means I can only pump at night as I tend to wear quite low cut tops when I go out. I really need to find a workable solution. :(

M

morninghello

Hi, cleo. Yes, I'm able to maintain suction. For the first 15 minutes, I have to pump more frequently, but after that it's about like usual when I was using the poster tack. I've used the foam rings too, but stopped after a few tries. I had to pump basically the entire time I had them on because they would seep air out. Also, the foam itself was very abrasive on my skin. The foam weather stripping is not abrasive at all. It's a little less than perfectly smooth, but totally tolerable. Also, the tape lets the cups sit closer to one another so there isn’t a big gap like there was with the foam rings.

I wish I would have tried it sooner... I'm able to pump a little harder and for longer and my swelling has been much, much better. Give it a shot. For a big roll, it was only about $6 for me. Also, you don't need to get the really thick kind of weather stripping. Mine is only 3/16 inch thick and 1 ¼ inch wide. I doubled it up, and the amount of cushioning is perfect. It spreads out the pressure much more too. Good luck!

M

morninghello

That's the exact one I'm using! :) If you want to save on shipping, you might want to check a local hardware store or any place that has a "home improvement" section. There's a good chance they'd have weather stripping with the same or similar dimensions. I think it is important to make sure it's wide though so it doesn't get sucked into the dome entirely.

Also, when I pumped earlier, I paid attention to how long any evidence of pumping took to go away.... 10 minutes :eek:

Anastasia916

morninghello, not sure if you're in the states or not, but I'm in GTMO, Cuba lol we don't have a store like that here unfortunately. They do have a store but it's limited on selection for most things, so I have to order most things. I'm not worried about shipping, I'm so use to paying it lol.

M

morninghello

Oh, right - I knew that! ::) Hope it works well for you if you decide to try it!

cleo

Thanks for posting the link Anastasia. Didn't know what camper mountain tape was!! lol. I'm in the UK and don't know if stores sell it over here but at least I know what it looks like now.

sara30500

I am in the UK too. I ordered it on Ebay 11 days ago from USA, havent received it yet!
Well, I am dealing with a skin problem at this moment, can not pump anyway.

itsjust4fun91

I picked some of the camper tape up at lowes today. Could someone either take a picture or describe in a little more detail exactly how to apply it to the domes? do yo fold it around the lips of the domes with half on the inside and half on the outside, or do you just edge the bottom of the dome lips and fold the rest up around?

thanks, Mel

M

morninghello

Hey, Mel. Glad you're giving it a try! I wasn't sure how to put the tape on also, but once I just started putting it on, it made total sense. I put one layer of tape around the rim with most of it on the "outside" of the dome, if that makes sense. When you pump, it'll get sucked into the cup a little, so you don't actually need to put a lot of the tape inside of the dome.

Before you put any tape on, make sure that your domes aren't at all greasy from oils and lotions. I washed mine, but apparently not well enough since the tape has slipped around a little (I just pull it out a bit more before pumping each time). I did two layers of tape, which is plenty. You should be able to unstick and restick the tape, so don't worry about putting it on "wrong". Good luck!

S

sissy2345

Hey Morninghello! Glad it worked for you. I've been trying to get everyone to try it for so long and it seemed like nobody would believe how awesome it was. But still..... I would put the suggestion out there every so often (on both forums) because I felt like it might help someone. I know that I could not have made the progress I have without it, and I tried every suggestion out there.

--Sissy