Bra Sizes

Anastasia916

Okay I thought I knew bra sizes and knew alot about them, but it has come to my attention that maybe I was totally wrong, and now I am utterly confused! I normally go by this bra calculator http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php which is very accurate, right now says I'm a 32D by my measurements without swelling, which would make sense because my 32C's do seem small in the cups, and it's only recent they got this way and I'm using my most recent measurements. Now if I make myself 29 inches underbust which would make me a 34 band (I'm 27 to 28 underbust, so I'm a 32 band) it says I would be a 34B, which makes sense, my 34B's still somewhat fit. But of course my 32B's don't fit at all. Now my goal was a 32DD ultimately because I thought that would be a 34D in a 34 band and a 36C in a 36 band, but according to this that's wrong. To get to a 32DD I only need to be one more inch bigger, and according to this at 29 inches under making it a 34 band, that's only a 34C, how is that possible? And to be the equivalent of a 36C I would need to be 39 inches on the bust, 3 more inches then I am now, and that would put me at a 32F or 34DD!!! I didn't realize a 36C was that dang big, and that was my ultimate goal lol, I'm seriously reconsidering. I can wear a 34 band comfortably, so my goal now might be a 34D which would be a 32E, but I think I'll have better luck just buying 34D bras. And that is only 38 inches on the bust, so 2 more inches, which was originally my goal. And I thought that would have put me at a 32DD or 34D, but apparently that would put me at a 32E, and right now I'm a 32D!? WTF?? I don't look that big! And btw I put my measurements in before I did any NBE I thought I was a 32A because the nonpadded bras that's what I wore, and padded I wore 32B's. But by this I was a 32AA!!! So by this calculator I have went from a 32AA to a 32D! 4 cup sizes! It doesn't feel like that much though. I mean yes I've grown 4 inches since I first started but dang. Oh and before NB I was a 32B I was actually measured in bra shops as that. But here there aren't any bra fitting places so I just bought online what I thought I was, a 32C. So hmm, looks like I'm actually a 32D? But can wear 34B's. So my new ultimate goal is 2 more inches, which would be a 32E, or 34D. I have 34C bras, so I'll just aim for that for now, which would be a 32DD in a 32 band. UGH so confusing, what I thought I wanted and what I thought about bra sizes according to this I'm wrong. Looks like my next visit to the states I will be stopping by a bra shop to get fitted just to see. So yea, I no longer think I want to be a 36C, I would need to be a 34DD or 32F to get there! All the best to those that want that size, but I think that would be waaayy too big for my petite frame. 38 inches, sounds like it would be my limit, that would even out the boobs to the size of my butt at least! LOL

Any of you other ladies get confused over these bra sizes? My head hurts thinking about it!

I'm definitely not buying anymore bras until my 34C's get full without swelling and tight, then I might buy new bras, otherwise I think I will be doing nothing but making bra shops richer every month!

Teeny Tiny

I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out bra sizing. I just buy whatever fits and looks right on me. It seems almost like buying shoes, no two different brands/styles fit exactly the same. As small as I am (was when I started), certain 34A's I couldn't even fill enough to wear, yet I've got one 34B push up bra that fit when I couldn't fill most 34A's and is now tight unswelled and unwearably tight swelled. I had enough swelling halfway through the day today that I could almost fill my new 36C's. ;) :D ;D

that1spaztichik

I've said it before on the forums...I HATE BRA SIZES!! Seriously, I get so confused when trying to compute my size. Everywhere says I'm a 34A or 36AA, both of which are wrong. I'm with tiny, I buy what fits!

eva_bs

Thank you Anastasia for the link!! :)
So I am a 32A. I ware 34b push up braes... :-[
That's nice to figger out that u are actually a 32D!!! ;D - That would have make my year!!! :)
I wish you good luck on reaching your goal!!!And I will hold my fingers for you till then!!! :)

P

Philli

I got confused just reading Anastasia's message. I do it this way. A tape measure around my body below my breasts measures 36 inches...or 80 cm in German size. My boobs are now at their largest ever and up to now I was wearing a D cup. Now I'm wearing and E which is UK size DD. Where's the problem?

Anastasia916

LOL at Philli for saying my message was confusing, I thought it would confuse most, it gives me a headache trying to figure it all out, but from what I can figure when you go up in band size, you go down 2 cup sizes, when you go down in bandsize, you go up two cup sizes. And the way you are saying you measure just confused me. How can you tell your bra size just by getting a measurement of 36 inches underbust?

I don't think I'm that worried about it lol, my goal is 2 more inches, after I get that I will just go get professionally fitted and see what size I am according to them! Cause it seems like I have no clue.

M

morninghello

See, now this is why I do a full-body sigh when I read headlines like "Most American Women Wear the Wrong Bra Size". Well, no duh. Manufacturers don't stick to the same size guide, the sizes that many women actually are simply don't exist in brick-and-mortar stores and/or they are way too expensive, and then you have wonky bra size calculators that tell you all sorts of different sizes. Also, of course, the shape of a woman's breasts can really affect the way a bra fits (and by no means do all people have a similar shape). I also have a problem with the assumptions of "most women wear the wrong size" stories since they're almost always posed in a "those women don't understand their own bodies" kind of way, which is a bunch of crap. Offer us sizes that actually fit and don't cost $100 each and maybe we wouldn't have to settle for bras that fit us poorly.

The bra size calculator that Anastasia linked to told me I was a 34A when I had just moved up to 34C bras (I started NB as a somewhat full 34B, I'm now a 34D). I seem to have wide breasts, I think, because if that calculator thinks that my chest could have fit into As with those measurements, it obviously isn't taking into account shape and so forth.

Basically, try on bras when you can and wear what fits. Alternatively, buy a whole bunch of cheap bras at thrift stores like I do :) Also, the only bra size calculator that has been accurate for me is this one: http://www.herroom.com/measure-bra-size-with-implants,904,30.html

Anastasia916

Morninghello, are you suppose to measure with a bra on or without? Cause with one on I have 8 1/2 inches on both breasts, and without I have 9 inches, so on the 32 band, which I typically wear, I'm a 32C with the 8 1/2 and a 32D with the 9. Btw when I wore a bra to measure it was a nonpadded softcup 34B bra. I seen this site before, when I first started NB but I was confused on how to measure back then with this because I didn't know where my breasts began on the cleavage nor where it ended because I basically had no cleavage and there wasn't a tell tale on where the breasts ended on the armpit area, but now that I tried again I can tell where they begin and end, just another reason to love NB ;D it gave my breasts definition haha. And now I know that both my breasts are even now from what I been doing, pumping one more than the other yay! So happy about that, just the top of the breast on one side still needs a lil more filling in, but I think a few more months should do it with the method I'm using. And lol even this way of sizing says I'm either a 32C or 32D ugh lol, so still confused. Either way I don't think I look like a C or a D, maybe it's that it's only a 8 1/2 or 9 inch measurement on both breasts, and not a 10.5 inch which would make me a 36C or a 32DD in my band size. And let me tell you 32 band size bras are hard as heck to find in cup sizes over a B! I have to order my 32C's online. Or buy 34B's locally. I want to be bigger, but at the same time, I know a 32DD would be even harder to find. I don't mind paying for quality bras, like Victoria Secrets or Frederick's of Hollywood, but not when I have no idea what my size is and I keep growing lol, so I think I will wait until I am happy with my size and then order the quality ones, I'll settle for wearing a 34 band until then I guess :-\ I have a few 34B's which fit right now, but I know won't soon, and I have 4 34C bras, so hopefully I can just use those until I grow the 2 more inches I want, and hopefully I'll be happy with that size and then find out what my true size is by then and then I'll order the quality bras.

And yea, my breasts are not exactly perfect, they are not perfectly round like implants, or like some of the lovely ladies on this board that I seen pics off (grrr, SOOO ENVIOUS!) I think before NBE I had a slight case of tubular breasts, I'll see if hubby has some old topless pics of me before NBE and crop them and post to show. Now they aren't as bad, but they aren't completely round, but I like the shape alot better than the old me. And I'm hoping 2 more inches or so, another cup size or so, will help to fix the shape even more.

T

tavia

i thought if u go up a band size then u go down just 1 cup size, wow thats weird..

well my band has stayed the same since i started having boobays, so im always 34, a 32 is way to tight although i wouldnt mind loosing the back fat and being able to fit in to a 32,
and the d cup size is fitting well, without swelling im very comfortable but after pumping its kinda uncomfortable, i still havnt got around to buying a bigger bra for after pumping

Maplesyrup

I always hated that!!!!! GRRR...and no one fits into the right one you know. A 34B fits me better cup size with underwire but the band is too small so I wear a 36A :mad: I'm not paying attention to the bra size anymore, I'm pumping till I like what I see in the mirrow ;D

N

nik1

this is how i knew my size:

me, to fiance: how big to my boobs look?
fiance: B cup.

i'll be very excited when he says they look like C cups :p

iff

Hi girls, I can recommend you polish bra calculator. It works really good, but the truth is, that even girls with the same measurements can have diffirent bra size - it depend also of their shape etc. So to make sure you have the right size, you must try the bra on.

http://www.atlastravel.nazwa.pl/mariska/index2.html

I translated it into english:

Wymiar pod biustem (mierzony na wydechu i bardzo ciasno!) - size under the breast (chest size) (measured very tight and while breathing out)
Wymiar w biuście (mierzone luźno w miękkim staniku lub bez stanika): - breast size (measured without the bra or in soft bra)

Rozmiar brytyjski - british size
Rozmiar brytyjski, stanik rozciągliwy - british size, for bra with loose band
Rozmiar brytyjski, stanik wyjątkowo ścisliwy - british size, for bra with tight band
Rozmiar polski: polish size :)

Wearing good size of bra is very important, it may helps you get better shape without bra and with the bad size you can even deform your breast!
I have 87cm in breast and 65cm below. You'll probably say after seiing me - 34C or 32D. But I'm wearing... 28FF ;).

Paloma

yeah... I recently went in to Nordstrom's for a professional bra fitting and to my utter and complete amazement, they measured me at a 32 C or D - depending on bra style. I thought I was a 36 A.

Now ladies, if you saw my boobs you'd THINK full A cup, I guess maybe small B cup. My actual measurements atm are 31 underbust and 36 across the nips. I don't have the look or feel of big boobs (obviously, or I wouldn't be here!)... but apparently since they are wide at the base and just "shallow" (don't protrude much), while they look to me like A's, I'm supposed to be wearing a C cup, but with the straps shortened to pull the cups up so that the breast fills the cup.

I'm not sure I like this, so right now I'm just not wearing bras.

But ever since I've been fitted, I don't know what to make of people's statements that they are this size or that... since it all depends on a bunch of factors that have less to do with how big your breasts actually appear...

Confusing, eh?

Boobalicious

I am soooooo glad that other women have the same issues with bra sizing as me as it means that I am 'normal' otherwise we're all 'abnormal' LOL :D and Anastasia's message made my head spin!!! You have great boobage though Anastasia and you have come a long way. i was an A cup about 7 years ago, then I cheated and got pregnant and grew out of this world a fab pair of MAHOOOOOOOSIVE boobies which I loved. I know I will never get those back, but I am now a 34D (but can also fit into a 34C and a 32DD depending on style etc)

I find the bra size calculators confusing. I've used the one that Anastasia uses and it puts me in a 32A bra with my measurements, yet when I used the one that Paloma uses it puts me into a C/D cup which is what I wear now. There is absolutely no way on this planet that I would fit into an A cup! I've just sent some pics to Lucy to post for me - when you see them, maybe you will have a different view of my breast size, but I really wouldn't even want to try and squeeeeeeeze them into an A cup!!

Boodles

Well as many of you know I come on this site because my daughter is trying to increase her size not me. I buy my bras fom Bravisimo (who cater for larger sizes) and when fitting for a bra they never measure you at all. They say that there is no formula that works for every shape of breast as they are so variable. What they do is loook at the bra you are currently wearing and ask the size. Then, by eye, they estimate the size they think you need and then bring you a bra that they think will fit and work from there. It may take a couple of attempts but they are pretty good at it! You then get a base line to work from and they tell you if certain brands might come up larger or smaller than the brand you have been fitted with.

The bras that I have bought from them would be nowhere near anything I would have measured from a formula (genearlly much smaller band size and bigger cup) but they have been the best fitting bras I have ever bought.

Lily13

I've always thought you were to take the underbust measurement at the end of an exhale, but I see conflicting info online. I think it's safe to say that no one knows how to "measure" for a bra. ;)

I read recently, I wish i could remember where! That the antiquated way to measure is to add 4 or 5 inches to the . I read that if you for instance measured 31 under bust and normally wore 36 A you should try a 32 C or D for better fit.

I haven't looked at it yet but maybe the polish link suggests that kind of thing too.

I posted a link to some videos on Youtube that show how you might like to fit your bra. They take one woman from a 36B to a 30FF or something.

It's under General Discussion on the main page. Sorry I don't have a link

Paloma

flatty_natty said:
I read recently, I wish i could remember where! That the antiquated way to measure is to add 4 or 5 inches to the . I read that if you for instance measured 31 under bust and normally wore 36 A you should try a 32 C or D for better fit.

Yup, that's just exactly what they told me and Nordstrom's. I was pretty surprised to find out I'm a 32C. Now when people tell me they are a C or a D or whatever... i'm way less impressed. lol.

rby

Y'all probably are wearing the wrong size bra--the plus four method is outdated and generally not suitable for modern manufacturing methods because of the heavy emphasis of lycra and improved manufacturing. Plus (while it depends on how much fat/breast tissue you actually have) once you get into the proper size, tissue can migrate and actually boost you up a cup size. Of course, it all depends on the manufacturer, and nobody is a "perfect" cup size, but I know my self-esteem pretty much skyrocketed when I found out I was actually a 28f (going from a 34b!). You probably don't want to go up a band size unless you've actually gained weight around your ribs, or if you find that the band runs too tight. If you can go to a professional, you probably want to do that over a measuring tape, but some professional fitters can be wrong, so you really just want to try a variety of sizes. Cup size is relative to band size.