Bra sizing

Boodles

Hi

I know the way that most guides tell you to measure your band size but this has never worked for me and does not work for my daughter. My daughter measures 31" beneath the bust and if you go by most guides that should mean that she would wear a 36 band size (adding 5" . This would be huge on her. She currently wears a 34C but she has to wear it on the tightest hook and, as a consequence, as the bra gets older and gives a bit there is no way of tightening.it so it no longer seems to fit as well.

I read other sites that suggest adding just 3" (which would make her a 34") or even going with the actual measurement (rounding up to nearest even number). There is a school of thought that says that athe adding 4"/5" rule was brought in years ago when bras were less elastic, and is outdated for modern bras. This would make her a 32". The 32" seems like a good idea so that if the bra stretched a bit then she could tighten it.

However we then come to the cup size. I know that as a band size goes down a cup size shoudl go up. However when she tried the 32D the cup size seemed too small compared to the 34C. In fact even measuring the bras against each other the 32D cup seemed smaller than the 34C cup.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem? Or how many people use the plus 4"/5" method and get on with it OK? As I say it does not work at all for either me or my daughter but I guess it does for some or it would not be so widley promoted.

Just curious really .... :)

soonenough

Boodles, I have the same problem but it's the opposite. When I went up to 32D, the cups are a lot bigger than 32C. I don't know if it's bra brand manufacturer's issue, but for 32 band, I love, love Wacoal. For 34 band, the Donna Karan is the most comfortable for me. When I went up to 32D Wacoal, the cups (pushup) are so much wider than the 32C's. However, DK 34C, is just right for me, and it's lightly padded. I don't think it's a given that 34C is 32D's sister size. The best way is to try on the bra.

My ribcage is 28" (about 9" left, 9.5" right), and I wore the 34C at first on the first hook, and now I'm wearing it on the 2nd hook, as the bra stretches out from constant wearing. As long as I don't sleep on it, the bra stretches slowly. I made the mistake of sleeping in 32D when we went camping, as I was too tired to take it out before sleeping, and now the band is really stretched out.

Lily13

I've started taking notice of how bras fit on most people here and I think like 80% of us are wearing the wrong bra size especially those who were very small and then they start to grow and they still think they are an A or AA and there is NO way they are! lol :) Any way...

I think the underbust is probably one of the only accurate measurements out there. When you measure the underbust, you have to let the air out of your lungs and pull the measuring tape as taut as possible. You want this to be the smallest measurement. I measure around 28" if I add 4" that does make me a 32". When I used to measure, I was NOT measuring properly and I used to think I was 29". So I guess my suggestion is since both of you are having problems, maybe it is measuring technique?

Maybe try VS way of measuring underbust to see if that gives you a different number? They do it completely different, but it works for me. I get 32 every single time!
http://www.victoriassecret.com/bras/how-to-measure

Having said all of that about measuring the underbust, even though it is more accurate it isn't 100% accurate. Maybe both of you just have to go by feeling? They say you should never buy a bra where you need the band on the tightest notch because you want those extra hooks to use as the bra stretches out. That right there, tells me your daughter is definitely a 32 band.

When I was at Aerie a few weeks ago I tried on both 34 and 32 band. (You may want to do this with your daughter some time in the same style bra). In the 34 band I had to tighten the straps and I did not have to do this on the 32 at all. The straps were SOO tight on the 34 (because I was making up for the band being too big) that they were digging into my shoulders. This is 1 way of knowing if you are wearing the wrong band size. If the band rides up the back or if you need to keep pulling down on your bra, you are definitely wearing the wrong size. Also have your daughter lift her arms up above her head. The bra should not slip up over the breast or really move all that much. If it does, then the band is too big!

These are all things I'd look out for. :)

Now when it comes to cup size, I think it is very inaccurate. With the different styles, crazy push ups, demi, balconette and every other style in between, you really just have to try it on and see. It is possible that your daughter is in fact a 32DD especially in a push up bra or anything that has padding. If she has a good amount of tissue up top, that also may tend to put her into the larger cup size.

I also tend to agree that the cup sizes in 32 bands are smaller than the equivalent 34 bands. In the Aerie Emma bra, I'd probably be a D cup if they made it and I look NOTHING like a 34C... Nothing!!! haha :D

Hopefully this was helpful? I am dreading the day I need 32D's because no one really sells them around here except VS. I guess that's a GOOD problem to have... :p *smacking self*

Boodles

Thank you both so much for your input :)

I usually get my daughter to send away for her bras and we get them in a variety of sizes and return the ones that don't fit! The last one she bought we ordered in a 32D, 32DD and 34C. The 32DD cups were too big and the 32D were too small but the 34C cups were just right so we kept that one. However she did have to wear it on the tightest hook and hence a few washes down the line it does not look quite as good as it did. The ones she has just bought we have ended up keeping the 32D as, although the cups are not as deep (do not cover as much fo the breast) the band should be better. Must admit we did not try the 32DD this time. As she always wears push up bras (not the extreme push ups that you can get like the 2 cup sizes bigger ones, but a fairly light push up) it is not always easy to tell how the cups are supposed to fit (although she says with the 32D she has to take care that her nipples remain covered!).

It is a bit of a minefield I must admit. She has always worn M & S bras and loved them till now so maybe it is time to try a different brand.

I do wonder if the measuring thing works better for those who are very lean in that area, that is the measurement comes from ribcage rather than flesh. Although she is not overweight, this is the place that she carries more weight and I wonder if the band kind of compresses it so she seems to need a smaller band than the meaaurements would suggest (this would also work for me come to think of it).

It is a shame you cannot get 32D bras very easily Lily - we don't seem to have an difficulty here (UK).

Once again thanks for your comments :)

Boodles

I have been doing some more research into this and have found several sites that say that the adding 4/5 inches method is out of date with modern bras that stretch more. They say that you should wear the band size that you measure (eg if you measure 31" you should wear a 32" band). This certainly fits with what both my daughter and I have found. (we have remeasured btw and whatever wse do the measurements come out the same). What I don't understand is shy one method seems to work for one and not for another.

In case you are interested a link to three of ths sites are below, but there are many more saying the same thing.

http://quiettracer.hubpages.com/hub/Measure-your-bra-size

http://howtomeasurebrasize.net/

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Bra-Size

Odd isn't it?

pipitavivita

Hi Boodles!

I definitely agree with you! This is the website which opened my eyes, although it was always really strange for me to begin with.. If I measure 65 cm around my ribcage, why would I need to add 10-13 cm???( 4-5 inches). That is really a lot! And just like the blog creator writes in one of her posts, you do not wear panties 10-13 cm wider than your hips, they would fall off! Most of the support from the bra should come from the band, and it definitely doesn't if its too big for you to begin with! Also, you should be starting with the loosest hook and after wash/wear, move to the tighter one. If you already have to have it on the tightest to make it fit ok, you can be sure its not the correct size. Sure, since most women are so used to wearing bras which are so loose, wearing a bra in your correct size might feel very tight at first, but after max 5 occasions of wearing it, you should feel like you are wearing nothing at all! Also, the "armpit fat" and "back rolls" one might have is due to wearing incorrectly fitted bras and is actually migrated breast tissue, which can be fixed, by getting a truly well-fitting bra, and always gathering the tissue when putting it on. I really do recommend this site, it has invaluable information on bra-fitting!

Old blog site: http://eternalvoyageur.xanga.com/651169092/the-bra-matrix/

New blog site, this is still updated regularly: http://venusianglow.blogspot.com/p/bra-matrix.html

http://maheda.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=152%3Aczy-miseczka-d-jest-bardzo-dua&catid=35%3Aartykuy&Itemid=71&lang=en

I think many women are afraid of the "higher letters of the alphabet" when it comes to bra sizing :) If you check my last pictures, I am wearing a 28DD. Of course, if I would just tell someone that I'm a DD they would say I'm crazy and a flat-out liar ;D When in reality, there is no such thing as a constant bra size, not every B, C, D, DD cup is the same. Even if we don't bring in the "exotic" band sizes like 30 or below, or 40 and up in the picture, its still clear that a 32B, 34B, 36B, 38B will all look quite different in size, not even counting the woman's frame/size,etc just the breasts themselves. Its really just that if you go down with the band size, you have to go up with your cup size.

The problem is that really most women do not get a proper fitting( VS is the worst with fitting btw, they dont have a full range of sizes and are really just trying to sell you what they do have, and "kind of" fits you), and even if they do, they don't get re-fitted in case of weight loss/gain, or any other special circumstance. Sadly, many women just guess their bra size based on trivial things like: Oh, well I'm small so I must be an A, oh I'm slightly bigger than average, must be a C, and just take the off-the-rack bras and make the best of it. Many women who say the old method works for them in many cases don't know how to recognize in case the bra doesn't fit correctly.

Lily13

I know both of you will disagree but I actually think the old fashioned way does work for me. lol 32 band is very tight on me and I measure 28.5 around my ribcage. Both of you don't live in the US, right? Things are a lot different here I think. It is impossible to find band sizes below 32. Even in 32 bands you cannot simply walk into any store and buy them. Most stores will carry a 32A for pre-teens, but 32B's and up just do not exist at all. I dunno if it's because Americans are obese or what, but I can find a 42D without any issues in many many stores, but 32D and I have to go to VS or order online. I think this might be why many wear 34 band in the US because it is much more common and it is a hassle trying to find 32 band bras. I don't really blame them...

It makes me wonder if band sizes in the US are different than in other countries too. Some of the 32 bands were sooo tight at VS, that I cannot even imagine sucking in enough to get into it. It actually HURT me and I could not even clasp the backing on some of them. :D But I got a 32 band at AE Aerie and while it felt tight, it wasn't anything like that! haha Now I'm gonna need a 32D in this bra and Aerie doesn't go that high, so now I'm screwed and have to go to VS or another "top-end" store to get my bras. No one sells 32D's in the US. I have no idea what people with breast implants do.

So any way, I think the add 4 works for me personally. I am certainly NOT smaller than a 32 band and I know some 34 bands do fit me right. Either way you try to measure, seeing what the bra LOOKS like on you is what matters. Pick a bra, try it on and see if you have the armpit boob bulging, the digging in straps and all of that other fun stuff. ;) I do not find my bras uncomfortable at all and I wear my less padded one at night to keep them lifted.

I hope I didn't come off as weird or anything. I just find it here in the US, you cannot find small band sizes so people tend to wear ones too big for them. Who's fault is that? If the store you go to doesn't sell a 28 band how would you know that was even possible and could be your size?

pipitavivita

Lily, I do understand where you are coming from, honestly! Most bras start at a 34 band size here as well, its really rare to find a 32 band size( if you can, its only with an A or B cup and there is hardly any variety in style), and IMPOSSIBLE to find a bra with a band size below it. I've seen some 30 band sized bras in the pre-teens section, but it was like a 30AA or 30A only. The other confusing this is: in most European countries, you have a different bra sizing then in the UK/US, going by centimeters, not inches. A 70B size means you should wear a 32B, however, 32 inches is actually 81 cm, so 11 cm bigger than your actual ribcage measurement! Even if I take a 28DD, its still in theory too big for me, since I measure 65 cm or under usually(25-26 inches) but its still a much better alternative. Usually every store I went to here, since they only had 34 band sizes wanted to put me in a 34B bra, and you really could tell that even though it fit ok, didn't look flat-out wrong, it was still not giving me proper support at all, and after I got to wearing my truer size, my breasts looked much perkier and lifted, with better cleavage as well. I do have to spend extra money on ordering online and shipping like figleaves or , but sometimes I think we can all afford to splurge a little :) I'm actually finding online stores now where you can get 24, 26 band sizes bras with bigger cup sizes as well, so I think maybe I will give those a shot as well: http://www.thinandcurvy.com/2011/05/where-to-find-26-and-24-band-bras-and.html

It's really infuriating that these stores don't even give women a shot to experiment with bra sizes and just assume that if you have a small band sizes you must be small all over, if you have a big band size you must be big all over with not much in between. Ok I get that they are trying to sell what they have, and there are many women probably who are true 32,34,36 band sizes with all the corresponding cups that can be, however many women would require a a smaller band size or just a "special" size, and can't without having to order from across the globe. Honestly, until I could finally afford to buy a bra in my true size, I rather just skipped wearing a bra at all. :)

Boodles

Pipitavita

Those are some interesting links - thank you. The pictures of the D cup bras demonstrate so graphically how a D cup i not a fixed size! I have jsut go my to get my daughter to try the 32DD in the style that she wears the most. I don't feel that thier is quite enough depth to the cups with the D, and the DD gives better coverage (push up bra), but she keeps saying 'don't be ridiculous, how can I be a DD cup!' I will show her the link to demonstrate :)

Lily

That is interesting. Maybe there is a difference in sizing in the US from teh UK (or Europe) and maybe that is why the add 4 works. Obviously if you cannot get the smaller sizes you have to buy what you can get :)

I have checked on the range that my daughter wears (Marks and Spencer - hightstreet brand but still known for good quality underwear, but reasonalbly priced). The styles that she wears start at a 28D and do up to a 38DD. This is a push up bra. There are other ranges that go up to larger cups (not push up though I don't think). She has a couple of styles tha she has had to buy get the 34" as the 32" is just to tight (will not do up actually) I think this is when the material is not so stretchy. She ahs to wear them on the second or last hole though so there is not room for readjustment on stretching though. But as she measures 31" beneath the bust she should be in a 36" if she went by the add 4/5" rule and she just would not be able to wear one that size.

Other companies over here also seem to start at a 28d. Actually it is often quite easy to get this size, online at least, as they are not so popular and so tend not to sell so quickly.

I still wonder also if there is a conncection with the amount of flesh you have in this area as to how the two different methods work. My daughter is not overweight but this is an area where she has a littl padding. Obviously this can compress wheras if the measurement is only coming from the rib cage it cannot compress under the bra.

And no you do not come off as weird at all :) Thank you so much for your input :)

Lily13

I hope someone else from the US will jump here and give their opinions on this too. I cannot even imagine how a 26 bra size would fit someone... :eek: wow! So pretty much what all of you are saying is that you are the size you actually measure. There is no way in heck I would fit in a 28 or 30 band. I guess I'd try one on if I saw it, but unless VS bras are in fact small to size, then personally this would not work for me. I don't know what to think about all of this.

In the comments of one of her posts she wrote that she measures 24" across her ribcage and that her waist is the same size. WOW I am not that thin at all, so I think I just have a larger frame overall.

I can see that the writer has a hatred for VS and that's ok. I don't particularly have any feelings for them. I agree their models are purposely wearing cups too small to make their breasts protrude out. I have pointed this out to my husband as well that the girls are wearing bras too small or too big. However to say they are bad across the board seems odd. Not everyone is a < 30 band in my opinion. I understand that when we are something, we thing everyone else is that as well but that isn't always true.

VS, Frederick's and Nordstrom are the only stores I know in the US who even carry the smaller sizes and by smaller I mean just 32 bands. I think Nordstorm goes to 30, but their bras are just too expensive for me right now. Eating is more important. I guess that's another reason why I don't look at some of these higher end stores. They are simply out of my budget.

And lastly, I have had tiny breasts all of my life, that I just never care enough about it all. I wore bras just to wear them. I hated going into bra stores and bought bras once every 4 years. The 34A's I had when I started noogling were at least 3 years old, So that is where I am coming from. :) It is much different world out there when you have tiny boobs. You care much less about it. Of course we are all here to make them larger, but those distorted views I have on bras, bra stores and everything related are still very much burned into me. I suppose if I had 34C's from a young age, I'd be more interested and intrigued by it all. I have hatred, disgust and mostly avoid all things involving bras, even now.

Hope I'm not rambling too much. Oh my I've been doing that a lot lately. hahaha!

Boodles

Hi Lily

I feel sure that there must be some difference in the sizing between the UK and US when it comes to band size. Although a 32 band is fairly small it is not exceptionally so over here. In fact a few years ago I was wearing one (those days are over I am afraid as middle age has taken over lol). Certainly they are readily available on the high street and by mail order.

I have never heard of a bra smaller tahn a 28" but i guess specialist outlets might stock them - you would have to be pretty petite to wear one I guess.

I cannot comment on VS- don't think we have them over here and to be honest I have never spent much on bras either, neither has my daughter - M & S seem to suit her well :)

pipitavivita

There is only one time I tried on a 26 band size.. it was amazing, but the cups were too small, so I left it. Do keep in mind that I'm 4'11, so yes, it would be pretty strange to see a 6'0 woman wearing such a small band size, but I guess even that could be a possibility. I really get where you are coming from Lily like I described in my last post, I didn't mean any bad, honest! I just wanted to maybe help and rather share what I found :) The last link I posted just to show how small these band sizes actually go, its rather the first two which really made me think about this topic and has the most detailed information from every perspective, not just bra sizing per se, but fit as well with nice links.

Especially since I was in the same shoes once, all my life I grew up thinking you have to add the centimeters/inches, and to be honest besides looking nicer and more supported, it really gave me a bit of a cheering up when I was told for the first time that I'm a 28C/D than a 34A/B. Even if I knew they are sister sizes and I'm not a C/D in the sense of how its defined in American pop culture, it still boosted by confidence a little. I remember Frederick's and Nordstrom from the US, I know they are very pricey, and bra shopping is definitely not the biggest priority in life so I understand, however I always figured that it never hurts to read other opinions and experiences, maybe 1-2 years from now you might get an opportunity to try on a 30 band which I think would be best for you in a hopefully by then very very big cup size and love it :))) Before starting noogling, I haven't worn a bra in 4 years exactly because of what you described, I hated bra stores, getting measured, always hoping to hear a size I wanted to be but being faced with reality instead :)

You aren't rambling at all, and I think we can all get your point :) I've been feeling a bit down in the dumps lately myself.. just a few days ago I found some older pictures of a barbeque I attended as a teenager, and remembered one of my saddest memories regarding my breasts, where one of my "girlfriends" remarked that she would love to see a wet t-shirt contest between me and one of our guy friends, to see who would win :( I'm just sorry that back then I couldn't react the way I should have, allowed myself to be hurt by somebody who's opinion shouldn't have even mattered at all, and that I let her words hurt me as much :) Either way, on to the positive, thankfully we live in a world now, where, even if too much emphasis is placed on one singled out body part, we found a way to naturally help ourselves, we are seeing results and improvement, even if it requires our dedication, but its still something our Mother's couldn't have for example, so I'm really thankful we have the NB, and hopefully there will be a day when we will be excited and looking forward to going bra-shopping ;)

Lily13

You did not upset me pipitavivita. Sorry if I came across that way. Just very intrigued by all of this now I guess. It's funny when an entire society of women has been told the wrong way forever and then you have a small group speaking out about that. It's just making me wonder who is right ? My gut feeling tells me the smaller band size is right and that most of us are wearing bras entirely too big. However I don't think there is an accurate way to determine bra size. You just have to keep trying them on. Also I realize that cup sizes are completely messed up too. When you start going down in band sizes, a 28F isn't small by any means, but also isn't anything close to a 34F. If most women started to wear 28 GG and 30 HH, then I'd think cup sizes would have to be completely revamped.

I will definitely try on a 30 if I ever have the chance! I'll probably go to Nordstrom to do this and I will ask them for their sizing opinion as well. However from reading that blog (which I did enjoy reading btw, thank you for posting it) it seems like a 32 is a "big size". And a 34 and 36 band is quite large because you would have to literally measure 36" across the chest.

Like I said, I dunno what to think about it all, but I will certainly keep an open mind to it! 2 years ago I didn't think you could even grow boobs, so I'm always learning new things. I definitely agree that most of us are wearing the wrong bra size. Perhaps these really small band sizes are the trick and I just happen to be one of the few that the old system seems to works for. : )

Cheers! and thanks for having this discussion with me. haha

JohannaH

pipitavivita said:
You aren't rambling at all, and I think we can all get your point :) I've been feeling a bit down in the dumps lately myself.. just a few days ago I found some older pictures of a barbeque I attended as a teenager, and remembered one of my saddest memories regarding my breasts, where one of my "girlfriends" remarked that she would love to see a wet t-shirt contest between me and one of our guy friends, to see who would win :(

That's really mean! I hope I don't hurt your feelings with what I wrote below.

Bra sizing is a minefield that's for sure.

I am a male on M2F HRT and I have developing breasts. The underarm measurement is 42 inches, the bust is 47 inches, and the rib cage is 37 inches. Now when I look at bra size calculators I get anything from 38 I to 42 DD.

My wife has a 42 C full coverage bra. The band size feels right (if you believe the +5 rule) but my breasts don't fill the cups since much of the bust measurement is under the arms. Also my breasts have not filled out completely yet.

So I say you have to try on the bras to get the right fit.

John