Can pumping cause hormonal changes?

xxbabygirlxx

I was wondering this question for a while now. Ever since I have started with the Noogleberry process I have had weird things happen to me, such as having an increase of hair growth on my legs/and breasts. I was wondering before i go to my doctor to discuss this issue if it can be because of Noogleberry or maybe another medical issue (e.g Polycystic ovarian syndrome- I've been on birth control all my life so i don't even know if it is possible to have this syndrome while taking it?).

Has anyone else been experience any changes to their body since starting the pumping process? And can growth of the breasts change/alter your hormones?

Lily13

I don't think so but I'm not that sure of course. I haven't had my hormones checked since I started NB, so I can't be 100% certain. However everything seems to be normal though as far as symptoms go.

Are you taking anything alongside noogling? If I take too much DHEA for example, I notice my face gets oily, I get acne and my facial hair gets darker.

PCOS can cause an overproduction of DHEA and testosterone and so can something called late onset congenital adrenal hyperplasia. I'd definitely see a doctor! :)

the longer you take a hormonal pill (such as birth control), the more chance you have to have changes. this is because the hormones from birth control get "stacked" in your body... they "collect" and they can cause big changes. You should go talk to your doctor no doubt, but if you are on birth control for a while now, I think it is what you should discuss and get checked

xxbabygirlxx

tatiana673 said:
the longer you take a hormonal pill (such as birth control), the more chance you have to have changes. this is because the hormones from birth control get "stacked" in your body... they "collect" and they can cause big changes. You should go talk to your doctor no doubt, but if you are on birth control for a while now, I think it is what you should discuss and get checked

Really? i thought it comes out when we go to the bathroom?

Thanks Lilly i will. I don't take any supplements[only multi-vitamins]. What is DHEA? Is that something found in a common foods? I also have acne, and some facial hair. Sometimes i think that me pumping causes my body to changes my hormones.

Lily13

DHEA is an androgen that is naturally produced in the adrenal glands. However in LOCAH, it is produced in high amounts due to a specific enzyme deficiency. DHEA converts into Testosterone which can give the symptoms you are experiencing (acne, facial hair, menstrual issues).

You are right that PCOS can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. This would all be due to the increased levels of androgens in the body. Usually those with PCOS have high insulin levels too. LOCAH and PCOS are similar symptoms wise (but the cause and treatment is completely different). SO it is important to rule out both! Lots of people with PCOS go on to later find out they actually have a mild form of late onset congenital adrenal hyperplasia.

Definitely sounds like you should talk to your doctor and have your hormones checked to make sure everything is ok.
http://www.caresfoundation.org/productcart/pc/ncah_late_onset_cah.html

The reason why I know about this is because I might have or be a carrier for LOCAH. :D

Yes, really :p Hormonal system works differently than e.g nervous system while nervous system will work immidiately, while hormones are slow messengers that are sent from one body part to other where it brings the response. which is why when you first start taking birth control you have to use condom at start and the longer will you take them the more changes are probable to happen. my friend took BC for five years and then her pelvic bone (not sure english word) got tilted and she couldnt have kids, she was devastated but she got into some asian weird stuff and they did acupuncture on her and she is fine now. my other friend got facial hair when she was 35 because of BC , she has been taking them since she was 15 and she also had other problems with that. my moms sister got a breast cancer after 25 years of using BC. BC has always side effects, but they are different for everyone and 99% of the time it takes a while to see them. some people get bigger boobs (lucky them), some people get cancer etc. but i have not met a person til now that hasnt had a side effect with BC

M

Mumma Bear

I would think if there's anything it could potentially alter it would be prolactin levels. Hormones such as estrogen I'd guess would not be top of the list, especially not if you were on BC.

Teeny Tiny

I saw a gynecologist last Wednesday for problems I'm having with my uterus, I have a slight thickening of the Endometrium, which has been causing me excruciating pain and heavy bleeding during my period. While I was there she ordered a complete hormone panel test done, which I just got the results of. One of the 6 hormones they tested was high, I have an elevated DHEA level, and almost all the symptoms of having PCOS. I was sterilized 10.5 years ago and have not been on any type of birth control since. After being sterilized the doctor that performed the procedure told me I had a hormone imbalance, but didn't tell me what was out of balance, and could not treat it because I was a patient involved in a new non-surgical sterilization procedure that was being tested at the time. I thought all these years that I was estrogen dominant, when in fact it's my DHEA level that's been out of whack. Now I think I know what was wrong with my mother when I was a child and why she ended up having a total hysterectomy. My gynecologist has put me on birth control pills to try to reduce my DHEA level, and I have a follow-up appt with her in 3 months to see how I'm doing. Hopefully the birth control can get it under control, from what I've found online there is no cure for it if I do have PCOS, it's treated with hormone therapy (birth control and/or another medication), diet, and exercise. They say a good diet and getting exercise is essential for the treatment/management of PCOS.

Hope this helps.

Lily13

With your other health issues, Teeny Tiny, I'd have to them rule out LOCAH. I talked about it above. This can be done by testing 17-oh progesterone (This is different than regular progesterone levels) and also a ACTH stimulation test. I know you have a lot of issues with eletrolytes and this may explain some of them for you. Your sodium levels are always low right? Salt wasting is a symptom of LOCAH due to the adrenal insufficiency aspect of the disease.

I know way too much about health stuff, but that's what happens when you are chronically ill for most of your life...lol

Teeny Tiny

They did a full hormone panel, including testosterone. According to what you explained wouldn't my testosterone level also be high if LOCAH was the cause? I'm leaning more towards PCOS myself, as I have many of the symptoms of it, including...
  • pelvic pain
  • heavy periods
  • thickening of the endometrium
  • unwanted facial and body hair
  • thinning head hair
  • history of ovarian cysts
  • weight gain
  • skin tags
  • anxiety & depression
  • 2 unconfirmed miscarriages

Is there anything that would still lead you to suspect LOCAH? As far as I know my sodium levels are fine, but I've never been tested to see where they are other than ER visits and once during an exam. The last time I was in the ER, which was last Tuesday, they did urine tests and bloodwork, according to the results the normal sodium level is 135-145 and mine was at 139. I've never been told I had low sodium in any of my ER or doctors office visits. With the exception of the one time I was originally diagnosed with Porphyria all lab results for me have always been normal. I've been to the doctor many times feeling as sick as a dog, but my test results always show me to be as healthy as a horse. DHEA is the only thing in the last two years to come back out of range one way or the other. :-\