Daughter finally seems to have sorted out correct bra size!

Boodles

Well after lots of trial and error DD has finally found what seems to be the perfect bra size for her - 32dd. When she started noogling she was wearing a 32b although, in retrospect, I think the cups were a little small. She then went to a 34b and then up until recently a 34c. However the 34" band size had tol be worn on the tightest hole and soon stretched so that it did not offer correct support and rode up - despite the fact that she measures 31" under the bust and, according to the add 4"/5" rule she shoudl be wearing a 36 band! After reading on several sites that say that this method is outdated with modern bras with a lot of elastication, she went back to a 32d but the cups did not seem as big as the 34c, so tried the 32dd and at last it seemed perfect! She has tried both push up and none push up styles and they are both good.

The strange thing is that without a bra she really does not look that big. She took one look at the 32dd and said 'I will never fill that' and yet she does. She feels that tghere is little difference in size without a bra or 'cupping' her breasts. There must be of course, but it is not as obvious without a bra. She does have a wide 'base' to her breasts which means that the breast tissue is kind of spread out, (probably why it is less obvious without a bra) and a lot of tissue to the side near the armpit. When she pulls all that in she fills the bra and has cleavage, even in the non push up versions, and has a really niced shape under clothes. The band is snug but comfortable and does not dig in.

I know that the add 4" rule wroks for many but if you are struggling to get a good fit it might be worth trying a smaller band and a bigger cup :)

Lily13

Boodles that is great to hear you finally figured out her bra size. I am really starting to agree with you on this bra sizing thing. I don't think adding 4 or 5" is the way to go. You just try them on until you find one that fits. For some people maybe the add 4 or 5" just happens to work, but I really think for the majority of women, it does not! :) I also think that especially in the US, these smaller band sizes with larger cup sizes are tough to find, so not many women even know they exist. We are also used to our bands being too loose, so when we finally find the right size, it feels tight OR we try on one with the cup size is too small, so it feels tight around the bust.

I'm half-tempted to try a 30 band, but I just have to get to a store that has one to try on. haha Nordstrom sells them, but interestingly if you go to their website, they continue to say you have to add 4-5" onto the measurement they get.

Boodles

Hi Lily

It makes sense that if people have been used to wearing a larger band size then a smaller one would feel wrong, even if it is in fact right. Like you say, trying the smaller band size with a cup size that is too small would make it feel even tighter. I think a lot of people (my daugthter included) who have always thought of themselves as small busted would dismiss the larger cup sizes.

Just out of interest, I read somewhere that the 'sister sizes' (eg 32d and 34c) have cups of the same depth but that the 'circumference' of the cup is smaller in the lower band size. So I think this is why DD can wear still wear a 34c but the 32dd is a better fit than the 32d as her breasts are quite wide and she needs the extra out towards the armpit. For anyone with a different breast shape the 32d might be fine. It is not as straight forward as it all first seems I fear :)

Interestingly, her breasts look bigger in the 32dd as it brings all of her breast into the cup and does not flatten them as some of her 34c bras do.