Maca side effects?

Anastasia916

Maca is said to balance hormones, not give more of but balance. I think it's fine as long as you don't take more than is recommended for dosage. I take it in a low dose everyday.

soonenough

I don't know if it's my imagination or not but my bottom increased by .5", and it increase my sex drive. But then again, fenugreek and PM gave me the same effect, increased sex drive. I only used Maca for a month, and stopped when I started taking PM.

nyx

I've been taking maca for a while (on and off) and haven't had any negative side effects. Usually I notice the positives when I stop taking it and then realize that something's wrong, so I start taking it again to fix it lol.

xxbabygirlxx

I tried it and it made me break out. Warning to all you acne prone individuals, it may give you horrible zits and an increase in blackheads :'(

xxbabygirlxx said:
I tried it and it made me break out. Warning to all you acne prone individuals, it may give you horrible zits and an increase in blackheads :'(

so thats why is tarted breaking out even more...
thank you a lot! i was wondering what was happening :)

Anatori

Eek i was looking into this as well and now i will avoid it. i'm bhaving a hard enough time with the blemishes i already have i do not want more. Any advice on the best way to get rid of zits? i've tried masks, cleansers, those little strips that rip the blackheads out, facial scrubs, rubbing alcohol, toothpaste over them at night...everything except Pro-Active cuz i cant afford it. Any suggestions for how to remove the obscene red lumps on mah face?

sory didnt mean to take over the thread just asking real quick since the subject was mentioned.

xxbabygirlxx

Anatori said:
Eek i was looking into this as well and now i will avoid it. i'm bhaving a hard enough time with the blemishes i already have i do not want more. Any advice on the best way to get rid of zits? i've tried masks, cleansers, those little strips that rip the blackheads out, facial scrubs, rubbing alcohol, toothpaste over them at night...everything except Pro-Active cuz i cant afford it. Any suggestions for how to remove the obscene red lumps on mah face?

sory didnt mean to take over the thread just asking real quick since the subject was mentioned.

is it recent these break outs? Did it start after you started taking PM? if so, PM could be the issue. PM increases/changes your hormones, so that could be the reason.

Strumpet

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread further, but I've found the best regimen for acne is just not to irritate your skin any further. I think the knee-jerk reaction is to pick something harsh that strips away the oil, but that just encourages the skin to overproduce oil and you're back where you started. A mild cleanser, a light moisturizer, and 2 % benzozyl peroxide works pretty well. There's a lot of helpful information on acne.org as far as products/forums/etc.

Anatori said:

dont worry, i have the same issue. have had problems with skin since like i was 14 ? or maybe 15. i have become absolute geek for skin after reading soooo much about it and trying almost everything, the true reason why i want to become a doctor/dermatologist. there are supplements that can help with skin. I know Anastasia has mentioned that maca actually cleared up her skin. but there are other supplements like vitamin B and omega-6 that help. many so called products that promise you immediate results are just rip-offs. and each skin has its own way to respond to some medications.
There is one way that actually works for all skin types, that kills the bacteria. Now, i dont know in which country you live and if you need prescription for antibiotics, I know I do in Europe. But everytime I go to Russia I buy a lot of antiobiotics, since you dont need prescription there for that. you take 1/4th of an antibiotic pill and make it into smallest pieces, mix it with half a teaspoon of Dimexid liquid and you put it on your pimples before going to sleep (as in it has to stay a long while, and it will feel like your face is burning the first couple of minutes and your face will be a bit white-ish dots from the antibiotics so you dont wanna go out). and you sleep with it. the insane burning feeling will go away after a couple of minutes. antibiotics are cheap and so is dimexid, so it is affordable thing.

Pro-activ is just a rip off, dont spend your money on that.

Anatori

The acne has been around since i hit puberty so PM is not the reason. I get it real bad around where my glasses hooks (whatever they're called) touch my skin. I'm in the US so i dont know about the antibiotics bit but its worth looking into at least.I will def check out acne.org and see whats there too.

Lily13

I have lots of blackheads too. I wash my face with a combo of castor and olive oil (which seems counter-intuitive) but it has been the BEST thing yet. If you use something really drying, your body starts to overproduce oils making the problem even worse. I have a blackhead extractor I bought a few years ago and it helps to get them out safely. However, I'm not sure how stubborn your blackheads are...I can pop out the entire blackhead (and see a small hole in my skin) and it will be back by evening. I figure there is just something wrong with my body chemistry lol :D I'm 27 and still deal with pimples/blackheads. AHH!

xxbabygirlxx

Anatori said:
The acne has been around since i hit puberty so PM is not the reason. I get it real bad around where my glasses hooks (whatever they're called) touch my skin. I'm in the US so i dont know about the antibiotics bit but its worth looking into at least.I will def check out acne.org and see whats there too.

Then i would suggest vit. B5powder is better then the caps]. i take that and its cleared up my acne. Also try looking into derm creams like tretinoin, or differin. Both of thoses have cleared up my acne alot. But definately Vit. B5. Take at leats 5 a day and in three days u will see a difference i promise, its that good.

xxbabygirlxx said:
Then i would suggest vit. B5powder is better then the caps]. i take that and its cleared up my acne. Also try looking into derm creams like tretinoin, or differin. Both of thoses have cleared up my acne alot. But definately Vit. B5. Take at leats 5 a day and in three days u will see a difference i promise, its that good.

Vit. B5? You caught my interest.. is there any particular brand you use? like order online? if so could you give us a link?
Also, did you have the severe acne with red big pimples or just pimples, sometimes red, usually not and stuff?

xxbabygirlxx

Yes, vitamin b5 is the best thing i have used. I usually buy my off ebay, because i am in Australia at the moment because of my studys. You can go to any local health food store and ask for B5 powder form[its stronger], or you can buy it off ebay. I've used this one before: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vitamin-B5-Powder-Pantothenic-Acid-500-Grams-/220673419940?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3361292aa4 , its from the states. It clears up big red one to blackheads. If anything i would suggest giving it a try. I'm extremely acne prone, and this, multi vit. and my creams, have been the only thing that has cleared me up. I just wish i knew about it sooner.

nyx

Oh that's interesting...I wonder if just depends on your personal genetics and what other medication/supplements you're taking, then, because I'm acne prone as well, but I haven't had issues with acne since taking maca. When I was younger, I had terrible face and body acne. It cleared up when I started taking birth control, and I only occasionally get pimples now. Taking maca didn't change any of that (I didn't start getting more pimples nor did I didn't stop getting pimples).

would you recommend more vitamin b or multi vitamin? I am so despreate cause of my skin, I want to try something. All the creams/washing stuff have seemed to make my skin only worse. I want to try something that actually works.

xxbabygirlxx said:
Yes, vitamin b5 is the best thing i have used. I usually buy my off ebay, because i am in Australia at the moment because of my studys. You can go to any local health food store and ask for B5 powder form[its stronger], or you can buy it off ebay. I've used this one before: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vitamin-B5-Powder-Pantothenic-Acid-500-Grams-/220673419940?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3361292aa4 , its from the states. It clears up big red one to blackheads. If anything i would suggest giving it a try. I'm extremely acne prone, and this, multi vit. and my creams, have been the only thing that has cleared me up. I just wish i knew about it sooner.

Rose

We are so different. I am very acne prone but after I started Maca I have only had an occational small pimple around my periods. My skin looks so good, I actually got a compliment last night how good my skin looked.
I love Maca and I see a difference in butt and breasts after I started using it. I got seriously ill a few months ago and lost so much weight. After I started using Maca I see I am putting on my weight in a different way. Instead of stomach and thighs I am gaining breasts and a butt that I have never had before (the butt) and my stomack is so small!! I used it before in the past but didn't see a difference then because I wasn't trying to gain weight at that time. That's my programme; maca and noogleberry and I feel so curvy and womanly and I am always in a good mood.

interesting!! How long did it take you to see Maca side effects??

The thing is, everyone has a different reason of being acne prone. Yours apparently was unbalanced hormones. babygirls was vitamin B- deficiency (most women have it). There can also be other reasons for that, but that is why we all react differently on these things.