MSM and weight gain

Boodles

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone has experienced weight gain while taking MSM? DD is taking it for her back problem (very slight curve of the spine) and over the past 3 weeks has gained 3 pounds. She is still eating and exercising the same as ever.

The odd thing is that she does not look as if she has gained any - ion fact the reason that she weighed herself was becuase she though that she had lost! And if anything I think that she looks a little slimmer around the middle ( her largest part).

Very very odd.

Anybody else experienced this?

Many thanks.

Lily13

I have not heard of this and I've done a lot of research on MSM. It is a sulfur donor to the body, but I'm not sure how that would explain the weight gain. Is there anything else she has added recently within the past month or 2? Sometimes it takes a while for side effects to appear, at least that is always the case for me. :)

It is interesting that she looks slimmer, but actually gained weight. Maybe she is just building more muscle in her workouts? MSM is supposed to help with this type of thing.

Boodles

Hi Lily

Thank you so much for your reply. I did a bit of a search and found a few people on another forum who had expreienced something similar and they put it down to an increase in muscle/bone mass, which is similar to your suggestion. Kind of makes sense :).

Not important what the scales say I guess, more important how you look and feel :)

roadrashes

Hi. I take 9000 mg a day and haven't gain any weight. However, feenugreek does cause me to gain water weight. Does she take any other herbs?

Boodles

Hi Roadrashes

No she only takes teh MSM and vitamin C. I was looking at her again last night and I am sure that she looks slimmer - it is the strangest thing!

roadrashes

Hello again. It is probably muscle weight. When I look slimmer I actually gain muscle. Muscle does weigh more than fat.How do her pants fit?

Boodles

Her pants fit about the same but her bra band seems a little looser - it is kingd of the place that she looks slimmer.

I think you are both right - I think she must have lost fat and gained muscle :)