MSM?

Teeny Tiny

Okay, well I just added MSM to my daily routine, I'm now using spirulina, collagen, wild yam cream, and MSM. But I have one question for others using MSM, I bought a container of the powder figuring it would be better for absorption than popping pills, and when I opened the container it was in a big clump that I had to break up so I could use a measuring spoon with it, is that normal? And also, is it supposed to taste that awful? :p I mixed half a teaspoon (2500mg) in an 8 oz. glass of water, and took one sip to see what it tasted like and just couldn't force myself to drink it. I handed it to my hubby since we're hoping it will help with some back and joint pain issues he's having and said, "Here, lets see you force this down." He chugged it, then had a look on his face like he just ate a lemon and said it had a nasty kick to it. Well, I hunted through the freezer to see what kind of frozen juice concentrates we had, and if there's anyone else out there who has the MSM powder and is looking for something to try to hide the taste of it in, I found that Welch's Grape juice does the trick pretty good, the regular purple kind that has a strong flavor, not the mild white grape juice. I had hoped that strong grape flavor and kick of the Welch's grape juice would be enough to overpower the kick of the MSM, and it's pretty close to covering it up. You can still taste it a little, and there's still a little after bite, but for the most part it's no where near as bad as trying to force yourself to drink it in plain water. Just figured I'd pass that on in case there's anyone else out there using the MSM powder that could use a way to hide it's bite. :-X

vesper

Hi Teeny,

yes that's normal. You have to store the powder in a dry place in order to avoid any clumps. And the taste is just nasty. I have found that lemon juice actually helps with the taste. That's kind of weird since lemon juice is sour and the MSM tastes extremely bitter but somehow it neutralizes the taste quite a bit. I use the real fruit. Oh and btw, vit C helps to metabolize MSM.
Hope that helps :)

Teeny Tiny

Thanks for the info, I'll try it with lemon juice, but I think my hubby will stick with grape juice as he can't stand lemon juice, doesn't really even drink lemonade unless I put it in front of him. I on the other hand love lemons! ;) :D ;D

nyx

I originally took these huge nasty tasting MSM pills and I was so excited to switch to powder after I finished those off. Well I sure was disappointed lol. I drink it with my glass of orange juice in the mornings. It changes the taste a little bit but it's okay to take giant gulps of lol. I guess any strong juice will help mask the taste. Cranberry would probably work well too. Mine clumps up a little bit but it mostly tends to just settle like hard pack snow.

Teeny Tiny

I've been taking it in grape juice, orange juice, orange pineapple juice, or my favorite sobe citrus energy. The citrus energy drink really seems to mask the taste, especially if you put the powder in the full bottle, minus a little I drink first to make room for shaking to mix it in. The full bottle provides plenty of yummy flavor to hide the taste of the powder, and provides 250% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin c to help metabolize it. ;) :D ;D