Tampax Tampons

that1spaztichik

Hey all! I thought I'd use this general discussion area to discuss Tampax brand tampons. Hear me out...

I started my period when I was 13. I am now 20. I started and have used Tampax brand tampons (in regular and super absorbancies) for that whole time. However, when I was...oh, maybe about 17?? so like in about 2007...I noticed that Tampax changed their tampon design. They are shorter in length and the cardboard applicator has a "finger grip". I HATE THIS NEW DESIGN!!! It hurts going in, it's hard to insert, the cardboard gets stuck, I feel really bloated after it's in, it leaks, it hurts coming out. I never had ANY of these problems with this brand before this new design! After much research, I have found that MANY girls have also had the same experience as me. It's like Coke when they re-did Coke! As a dedicated buyer to this product, and not knowing what else to try, I have trucked on with this horrible tampon. But I've decided I've HAD IT!

Has anyone else had this experience with this brand? Any alternative suggestions for comparable tampons? I don't like pads at all, but I am considering buying a Divacup (similar to a Mooncup or a Keeper for you girls not in the States) since I'm over the tampon battle. Thanks girls for any imput!

M

Mumma Bear

This is really interesting - I hadn't noticed the new design, although many more years prior they did actually improve them with glossier cardboard and a rounded tip to the applicator - you would have really hated them back before then! My only idea is that maybe there is a reusable applicator with a better design that's available. Yes it would be a hassle to clean each time, but it would be much more environmentally friendly. I don't know if they exist but maybe try Googling "reusable tampon applicator" - if it doesn't exist then it's a million-dollar idea! Oh - and you've prob already tried this but a bit of lube can help.

that1spaztichik

Yes, the reusable idea sounds kind of cool! I think that's why I'm keen on trying the Divacup. I could reuse it, and not only save our planet, but some money as well :)

I don't know, the tampons themselves just seem sub-par. Here's a site that compares them side to side with multiple shots. It's quite clear they changed them! :( http://www.lipglossandlaptops.com/podcast/?p=90

Hmm. I want to say that I remember the commercials when I was a young girl about the new "rounded tip" part. How funny! Oh, how I wanted to be a woman and get my period right then and there...oh, how wrong I was! :p

Anastasia916

Have you tried the tampax pearl? I used the regular tampax and felt the same about the applicator, but then I tried the tampax pearl, and LOVE the applicator! The applicator is plastic and smooth, very easy to use.

cleo

I use the Tampax Compak which sounds like it may be the UK equivalent of the Tampax Pearl, smooth plastic applicator and very easy to insert, just can't imagine using the cardboard ones!

M

Mumma Bear

Never heard of those two types - why do the Aussies miss out on those?! ;)

Hey thatspatzichik - your pics look great by the way - you're already off to a great start even before you started noogling and I can def see swelling after only a few days - you'll do well for sure.

that1spaztichik

Thanks, Mumma Bear! :)

As an update, I went out and bought myself some o.b. tampons today, the kind without an applicator? They are kind of weird but they had great reviews on drugstore.com so I thought I'd give them a whirl. I actually like them! I didn't leak at all today, woo hoo!!

that1spaztichik

yeah the o.b.'s are a bit...gross, lol. The ONLY reason I don't like plastic is because I don't like having to throw away the applicator. I don't always take my trash out often...it gets dumped out once a week...so a week's worth of yucky used applicators freaks not only me out, but my family members :( I do like the actual tampons, though.

N

nik1

i'm a kotex girl all the way. they're a little cheaper. and i never feel them. tampax tampons are too long for me. plus, kotex has a bending part in the middle for when you're moving. i dunno. if you don't like the new design, maybe you could give kotex a try :cp
all other tampons are too long or think or stiff and make me feel dry after a few days. kotex ones never do.

N

nik1

Actually after reading about the divacup I might like to give it a try. My best friend uses it and I laughed at her when she told me but apparently it's amazing

that1spaztichik

Yeah! I am a former gymnast/cheerleader and I actually still work at a gym, so I'm still pretty active. I think the Divacup would be pretty cool. The ONLY reason I've shyed away from it is because I don't want to clean it out, haha. And we talked about o.b.'s being messy...

N

nik1

haha exactly. i was telling my bf how gross she was :cp
but i'm kind of curious about how much i actually bleed as well, is that nuts? everything gets soaked into a tampon or a pad and probably looks like a bigger mess than it is.
my problem would be re-insertion i think. it's not so much cleaning the cup, but cleaning my hands.
but i read that a lot of women take their cups/clean them out in the shower.

that1spaztichik

I've always wondered that, too! Who knows how much we bleed, lol. The shower is a good tip, thanks! I just don't know if I could realistically deal with it at like, work or school or whatever. I'll have to find single stall restrooms!

Anastasia916

I read somewhere that we only actually bleed a few tablespoons of blood throughout our period but that doesn't seem logical to me since most of us go through a couple to a few pads or tampons a day.

EDIT: okay this is according to the DivaCup FAQ's.... "The DivaCup holds one ounce (30 ml). The entire average monthly flow is approximately 1 to 1.4 ounces (30-40 ml). By monitoring the fullness of the cup over a couple of periods, you will quickly learn how often to empty it according to your specific needs. Most women find that the cup is not even half full after 12 hours. For those with heavier flows, the cup is simply emptied more often." so only about 1 ounce!!! I have a lighter period compared to most, strange since I have given birth, but I use regular or light flow tampons and only have to change them 2 times a day, even then they aren't completely saturated. And for pads, I only do it once a day when I take a shower. Sometimes twice just to feel clean. I keep those wet naps like GYN's have in there office to clean down there when I change a pad or tampon. So yea, it seems like alot of blood, but apparently it's not lol.

M

morninghello

I highly recommend Dittie for tampons, for quality and because they're generally a cool company. They're only available in stores on the west coast (US), but you can also get them online. The wrappers all have little quotes or sayings on them... some are kinda dumb, but most are funny/uplifting.

I also recommend DivaCup. I haven't tried MoonCup, but that's another brand you may look into.

that1spaztichik

Thanks! Perfect, I'm in California :) You know, I actually have a dittie tampon holder, but I have no idea where I got it! Now to find some of their tamps at the store, lol...