Care to help me with my personal problems? haha

barbie11

Okay so I'm in desperate need of other people's thoughts here, and I thought someone on these forums might take the time to read this ridiculously long message, since everyone here is so supportive.

Unfortunately, you’ll have to bear with my EXTREMELY long back-story first, sorry haha. Alright well here it goes…

So my ex-boyfriend and I were together for 2 years, the majority of it was long distance, but we lived very close to each other for about 4 months towards the end of the relationship. We’re extremely compatible in many ways, and have a set of qualities that would be very difficult to find in another person, let alone someone that there is such chemistry with, as was the case with us. There were very few things we disagreed about, and when things were good, they were bliss. We had always said that we saw each other in our futures, but we’re both very outspoken and “passionate” and that ended up causing too much stress. So unfortunately, a few months ago, we started fighting a lot and were separated by distance again (stressful). He broke up with me due to the fighting. It was a surprise to me, but I did agree that we had been fighting too much and that it was for the best. The break-up was about 3 months ago.

Now, during the break, I went over everything in my head (we were no contact the entire time). I realized that we were both very immature and quick to anger over stupid things, hence all the fights. I realized that he didn’t appreciate me as much as he should have sometimes and occasionally was a jerk, but I also realized that I was probably pretty annoying sometimes myself. Overall, I handled the break-up pretty well. I had days that really sucked, but I made some really positive changes that everyone says you should make. I got closer to friends and family, started working out more frequently, improved my appearance, etc. Another major thing is that I was truly happy and optimistic for the first time in years and years (since before the ex and I got together), although I don’t think this had anything to do with me not being with this guy anymore—it was something I had been working on for a long time and finally just clicked for me.

So anyway I got to the point where I casually dated someone for a few weeks (although things didn’t pan out). I still thought about the ex but I had come to terms with things having ended. Out of the blue, he contacted me and wanted to catch up. We had a nice chat on the phone about our lives now, which are both going very well. He admitted to me that he treated me unfairly a lot of the time (true) and he apologized for everything and hurting me, etc. We both conceded our immaturity and revealed our new outlooks on life. So long story short, the next day he says that he misses me, and would like to be with me again. He said he would be willing to do whatever it takes. It’s what everyone on this board wants to hear from their ex and I heard it. There was no begging involved, but it was a genuine conversation. He said that he thinks we’re soulmates, and he wouldn’t be trying to get me back in the middle of college, when things were long distance if he didn’t mean it. He wants to try again. I explained that things could work if we’re totally open and honest and can improve some things about our past relationship. The thing is, I could definitely see myself being with him in the long-term, as long as I was treated right this time around and we both made some changes to improve our communication (and he agrees with this statement).

Now because it’s only been 3 months since the break-up, I have some concerns. I’m worried that he hasn’t really changed and that we’ll end up in the exact spot we were when we broke up last time. I’ve heard the stereotype that guys never change, and that they’ll say anything for the short-term pleasure of something. I made some major changes in my life in that short time, though, so on some levels I don’t have any reason to deny that he might have as well. In fact, we have spoken fairly frequently since our first talk, and the way we handle certain things is different in many ways. We’re both more easygoing and understanding. And the trust level between us has skyrocketed.

As another concern, I’m also not sure if he’s just using me as a safety net because I was his first love (although he wasn’t mine) and I’ve heard that the first is the hardest to get over (which was the case with my first love). Not that he’s PURPOSELY using me as a net, but just that he wants someone there and I’m what he’s used to. Although the argument against that is that him being with me is, in fact, the more difficult option for him. He’s a very attractive guy at a college about 2000 miles away from mine. I can’t imagine he would have any trouble finding a girl, and I think it could say something that he’s willing to work on such a long-distance relationship during college years when it would be easier to be single. But that idea of me being a safety net is still in the back of my mind (because, selfishly, I used my first love as a safety net after the break-up with my first love).

My friends also have been adamant about not getting back together with him (although they’re unaware of our continuing conversations) because I kind of painted him out to be an asshole and myself an angel after the break-up (while he was occasionally an asshole, I was also not the easiest person to get along with). None of my friends have ever met him in person due to the long-distance nature of the relationship, so they only have my biased, post-breakup perspective on him. Many of them have been through break-ups where they got back together with an ex unsuccessfully, with the ex saying they’ve changed when it turned out that they hadn’t, so they’re positive that this would be the case here as well. I’m not so sure that’s true, but then again it is a concern of mine. What are the odds this could really work out this time? That we really are both different people only 3 months later and could make it work?

I’ve made it clear that I would not allow a third chance if I were to be hurt again, and we’re both willing to take this very seriously. He knows that I expect that he make things up to me/prove himself, but I’ve also forgiven him for the past (and did awhile ago). We plan to move slowly, too. We’re both a little scared of the future here, but also excited. Overall I just would like other people’s thoughts on the situation. Could he have changed and keep the changes so soon? Am I being stupid and naïve in thinking that this could work out? I’m so sorry for how long this is haha.

Thank you in advance for any responses!

amelie

Hi Barbie11

What strikes me about your post is that you seem pretty relaxed about the breakup in the first place. It´s not as if you´re desperately missing your ex, or even all that willing to give it another try with him. I think I´ve heard more about women who start phoning their guys like crazy when they are dumped and who feel completely miserable if they don´t get back together. In your case, you mention that you have a lot of doubts about being with him.

I don´t know if he´s genuinely willing to be with you or if he´s using you as a safety net, as you say. (Generally I wouldn´t think that guys think along those lines, unless they´re completely insecure or whatever, and that doesn´t seem to be the case.) But anyway, I guess that you shouldn´t worry so much about him, and instead try to find out what it is that you´re feeling. If you know what your feelings are, that will guide your actions better than anything else. I mean, are you still hurt or disapointed in him because of ways he treated you, or because he decided to break up with you? Are you still in love with him or is he just "convenient" because you get along well? Does the relationship with him add to your life or make it more stressful?

There is always a history in relationships, and after breaking up it seems to be so tempting to just start over as if nothing bad ever happened. But that ultimately causes a lot of resentment. So I think before getting back with someone you really need to take your time and let all the emotions run their course, really take it slow.

Another thing I´ve learned is that most of the time it´s a bad idea to talk with your friends about boyfriend trouble. Or with your family, for that matter. People just tend to take sides and make you feel guilty when things are okay again between you and your ex. Or they can even make things seem worse than they are, not because they want to make you feel bad, but because they think they´re being supportive if they say your ex doesn´t deserve you or whatever. I´ve found that things go more smoothly when I don´t tell anyone about my relationship, and try to work things out with him instead. Of course, it´s different on a forum like this one. I find I get much better advice and help when I post my problems here than when I call some girlfriend to talk about it. So anyway, I don´t know if this has been any help to you, but feel free to comment on your situation as often as you want, we´re here for you!
best of luck :-* :-*

barbie11

Thank you so much for your response! You're so right about talking to friends about things, too. This forum is such a godsend in so many ways. Anyway I think my plan will be to take things extremeeely slow, keeping the focus more on myself until I'm more sure about things. I'll have to let you guys know how things go haha.

Again, thanks a lot amelie!

Jadie15

Hey Barbie11,

I can understand you being very cautious of getting back together. It is entirely possible that he has changed some, however it is also entirely possible that you were his first love and he is just saying he has changed to get you back. However it seems that seeing as their was no contact for 3 months it is more likely that he tried to change, instead of clinging on for those three months.
I think what is important here is that you both acknowledge the issues that you each have and as long as you are both willing to constantly work on those issues together then you could have a successful relationship.
Its a good idea to take things slow and discuss better coping strategies for when you do have arguments, because lets face it there is no relationship where an argument never happens. Like with me and my bf, I get very emotional very fast and so when we get into an argument we both know that I need to set away from the situation for a couple of Min by myself, to chill out and come back to the situation in a more logical frame of mind. Also my bf tends to not listen to what I say, so I physically make him repeat back to me what I am saying to him.

So all in all I think some relationships can be quite hard work, but as long as you are both willing to work on ways to make it better and you are both treating each other with respect then it can work.

I know what you mean about talking to friends and then they have a biased opinion. Especially with a long distance relationship, because they only know what you tell them. I had a big issue with this with an ex, when he moved overseas I was so bitter and when he came back that is all my friends had heard of him and they hated him and begged me to break up with him. despite me telling them I had only been venting all the bad stuff and he was actually a good guy. Its hard to change their opinions after that. But if he is the real deal, then EVENTUALLY they will come to know him for who he is and the break up period where you vented about him, will just become a "period" of the relationship. If that makes any sense.

Sorry this was quite long.
I wish you all the best no matter what you choose to do :D

barbie11

I really appreciate your reply! It was quite a novel I wrote there. I totally agree with everything you had to say, too. Especially your suggestions about how to handle arguments--I'm going to bring this up with him later. I'm a lot like you where I'll get too emotional too quickly in an argument, so I'm going to use your strategy. It's so frustrating when I know I have a good, reasonable head on my shoulders but my emotions just take over haha.

Again thank you sooo much for your advice--I can't tell you guys how much it helps (especially because as I said before, my friends are not help right now haha).

Barbie11, I understand your concern, but I do not want to write an essay as I will have only one point that can be said in one sentence: If you wont go for it, You will always regret it. You will always keep wondering.

Remember, it is the actions we didnt take that we regret and not the ones we did.

amelie

Hi Barbie11
You know, there are some books that explain strategies to communicate without conflicts in a romantic relationship. It´s all about learning about the difference between men and women, like guys won´t really listen when you´re complaining and being emotional, because they tend to feel questioned and they just can´t deal with emotions the way we do. It´s far more effective to create some distance when you´re upset about something than to try to talk things out - men get very uncomfortable when you want to talk about the relationship.
So for example, if you´re upset about something your guy did, back off for a while, wait untill he tries to get close again, and then try to tell him quietly how you feel without making it sound like an accusation, just like an expression of your feelings.
So, you wouldn´t say something like "Aaargh why were you flirting with that other girl??" but: "I feel very humiliated/ left out/ whatever when you pay so much attention to another girl who is into you".
That way, you come across as someone who respects herself, because you´re stating how you´re feeling, and no one can argue with that.
I´ve found these sort of strategies very useful, and am having easier relationships with men in general and especially with my significant other.

barbie11

Amelie, yes--great idea! It's funny that you mention this because just a few days ago, I suggested to the ex that before we make things official that we should both read some books on how to communicate better and any self-help books we feel might help us out. So he bought himself a book about communication and is reading it currently--fingers crossed! haha

Just as a quick update, we've been continuing to talk and things are going very well. I think I can see a change in both of us, and the changes I made during our "break" period are becoming more obvious every day, so I'm excited!