Does PM cause an increase cancer risk?

Chris54

Hello everyone. I have been reading these threads for a couple of weeks now and am amazed at the knowledge and support everyone shares. I have a question that someone may be able to help me with. I have read that PM works quite well for some in the fat distribution and breast development. This is because it is a phytoestrogen, correct? If so, does the use of oral PM increase the risk of breast cancer like synthesized estrogen does? The reason I ask is because cancer runs in my family. My mom and one of her sisters died from breast cancer. Her other sister developed ovarian cancer, it went into remission for 30 years, but she ended up dying from brain cancer several years ago. My brother died from pancreatic cancer 9 years ago. I am sorry is I seem to be rambling on, but thought a little background was in order. What does everyone one think of my trying PM in pill form? Does it increase my risk of cancer?

elles22

Hello,

I recently bought PM and haven't taken any yet as I'm put off by the heightened risk of cancer. Cancer also runs in my family but not as strongly as in yours. It is true that PM does increase chances of developing cancer, doctors, while recommending that no one takes these supplements, advise that they're only taken for a few weeks, a month at best, in order to avoid cancer and other undesirable side effects. Of course, cancer is more than undesirable, it's potentially fatal, as you know. If you already have low breast tissue then your chances are slightly lower but it should also be noted that PM increases thickening of the uterus and could cause fertility problems. Anyway, all of this puts me off, especially as I bought my PM on ebay and so I don't even know what's really in them...I may try them for a week or two and see if there are any major problems and if not then continue taking them for another few weeks.

Hop this helps, it is of course wisest to know all the risks. Really, as far as I can see taking it for a month or so shouldn't pose any major risks. Of course noogling and massaging are safe and reliable techniques as well but supplements are more potent and will produce more visible results, albeit with a higher risk.

Chris54

Thank you for the reply elles22. I have been doing a little more research on PM and, according to this link,http://www.alternative-doctor.com/anti-ageing/pueraria.html, PM is supposed to minimize the risk of breast cancer. Just like everything else, there are conflicting beliefs as to the benefits and risks. I did think the link had some interesting points.
Thanks again for the reply. If you come up with anything else could you kindly add it to this post? Chris54