MACA ROOT!

WillBeSexC

i originally posted this in "general discussion" and its been 24 hours with 31 views and 0 answers. So,

okay a few questions for the experiences ladies/guys out there!

1 - what is the difference between maca and maca root? Is there a difference or is maca just short for maca root?

2 - do you take maca? if so, which brand, how long have you been taking it, and have you seen any significant changes in your body and how you feel?

I read online that maca balances hormones (which = bigger boobies/butt/thighs which i would just LOVE). Did these effects happen to you? How long did it take? Oh gosh Im so excited! If I get some positive reviews, I will literally run to my nearest herbal store... (Indian people selling pure forms of herbs and stuff like that, I would rather go there than go to a drug store like CVS or RiteAid or whatever and pay way more for a version that doesn't have as high a potency) ...in the rain tomorrow to pick up some maca. this is all so new and exciting to me!

love, Lola xoxoxox

Teeny Tiny

I have not used maca myself, but am thinking about getting some for myself and my husband. I don't really need it for the increase in sex drive, I'm fine there, anymore and my husband won't know what to do with me. But rather to help with my hormone imbalance, I don't know if it will help with lowering DHEA, but it's a hormone, and it's supposed to balance hormones so I guess I'll give it a try. It's also supposed to help increase energy, which both my husband and I could use, and I'd love to see it increase his libido. ;)

Here's an article I found on it that may answer some of your questions since I personally cannot. It mentions that it can increase breast size, but it's not a guarantee, and it also mentions increasing butt size, God I hope it doesn't for me, that's the last thing I need enlarged, I've already 42 inch hips/buttock measurement. :eek:

http://macaandherbshop.blogspot.com/2009_05_01_archive.html

Oh, and to answer your question, maca is maca root.

Lily13

I read on breastnexus the other day that maca will increase DHEA levels. Just relaying that info here...

Teeny Tiny

Thanks for the heads up! Okay, maybe I won't take it, but I'll still get some for hubby and see if it helps with his low energy levels, seems like he's always run down and exhausted, and stressed to the max. Maybe it'll help him cope with all the stress he's under and help lift his mood and energy level. Guess it can't hurt for him to give it a try. :-\

WillBeSexC

Okay, so what exactly is so bad about DHEA levels?
Sorry, Im not too smart when it comes to stuff like this. I remember learning in high school that higher DHEA levels decrease your chances of depression (which I have), stress (which I also have) and decrease the production of cancer cells. Is this correct? Because I know Ive learned lots of BS in high school that I later found out was not true.

Teeny Tiny

Here's a couple sites I found for more information, one is on hormones and has a section about DHEA, the other is about a condition called PCOS, which can be a cause of the high DHEA levels. As far as all the health benefits you mentioned, it may be true if they're high but in the normal range, mine however is about 100 points above the normal range, which is not good.

http://www.pureprescriptions.com/expert_opinion/Saliva-Hormone-Test-2.asp

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.cfm#k

Lily13

WillBeSexC said:
Okay, so what exactly is so bad about DHEA levels?
Sorry, Im not too smart when it comes to stuff like this. I remember learning in high school that higher DHEA levels decrease your chances of depression (which I have), stress (which I also have) and decrease the production of cancer cells. Is this correct? Because I know Ive learned lots of BS in high school that I later found out was not true.

There's nothing bad about DHEA unless you have too much or too little. DHEA is an androgen which converts into Estrogen and Testosterone. In women it mostly converts into testosterone, which is a good thing as long as your DHEA isn't too high. Those who have elevated DHEA will also have high levels of testosterone. You will have more facial hair, body hair, oily skin and acne, irregular periods. DHEA is now found to be linked to our body's immunity in some way. It's about finding the right balance though. If you have this, then you need to see a doctor to rule out some serious health conditions. You don't want to just take DHEA. You really should get DHEA-S checked in your blood.

I take DHEA on a daily basis because if I don't my levels will become non-detectable due to a medication I take.

Here's a picture of a simplified hormone chart. http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/gentlepharmacy/biosynthesis-of-hormones.html

melissa4u

Not So Teeny Tiny,
I just wanted to let you know, in August, I took Maca, I think for like a month or so, I stopped because I heard that it can interfere with NBE, so I stopped taking it. When I did take it, it did make my butt more bubbly and my hubby noticed as well. It didn't make it wider,I wish! I really would love to get wider hips/booty, but for me, It just made it more plump.

Teeny Tiny

Thanks melissa4u, more plump is the last thing I need, it's already too plump for my liking. I've been accused of stealing a black woman's butt many times, it's the first thing men notice on me, especially butt men. ;) I've had neighbors and friends of my hubby's try to hook up with me because they loved my butt, of course none of them tried anything besides hinting or asking, they knew I am faithful and have a small arsenal to use should they try anything stupid.

Hey Lily, that's the strange thing my gynecologist couldn't figure out, my DHEA level is high, and I have the unwanted facial hair, and other male traits I don't want, but my testosterone is dead center in the good range. It's just my DHEA that's high, she said she isn't too worried yet as it's only my DHEA that's high, she referred me to an endocrinologist for further testing, but I don't have any insurance and can't afford to see her right now, I haven't even started to pay my lab fees and ER bills yet. And have to come up with a couple hundred more for a revisit and pap smear in December. I'm trying the BC method she prescribed for me until then, then I'll see where my levels stand, then I'll go from there. I'm still leaning towards PCOS, because I have many of the symptoms, but it's a wait and see thing right now.