Nipple Shelf/Shield?

lexuswoman

I'm trying to find something to use as a nipple shelf/shield so when I pump, my nipple/areola doesn't get any bigger than it already is. I haven't tried taping then yet and I found another post with a description of how to make a nipple shelf from a plastic jar. I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ameda-Nipple-Shield-NIB-/150835621710?pt=Feeding&hash=item231e80ef4e. Could something like this be used and just be taped to the breast or secured somehow or would the tape pop off while pumping the breasts?

minnie34

Hi Lexus,

that would pop off the minute you start pumping I'm afraid. I'm trying to think of a way that it could be secured on to the breast, but I think the suction from the cups would be too strong. I used them for a while when I was breastfeeding my youngest and they are fiddly enough to get to stay in place, with only the nipple+areola being sucked.
I sometimes tape my nipples down, although I must say that my skin doesn't like it very much. Perhaps I haven't been using the right tape. Some people have used the 'nipple stopper'. If you go back over Padded H's program, she has a very comprehensive description of how she did it. Best of luck to you!

Teeny Tiny

When I didn't have my nipple rings to use I just bought a large cheap box of latex free bandages and put 3 on each nipple, spacing them evenly apart at the ends, that seemed to work pretty well for me. The nipple shields might be worth a try since they're not real expensive to experiment with. Remember as you pump your nipples and areolas expand and swell with the rest of your breast, this can result in two scenarios with the shields. Either they'll pop off the minute you start pumping, or the nipple and areola trying to swell inside will hold them on better. You could always try taping them on or maybe even try some elmers school glue or something. I remember putting glue on my skin as a kid and letting it dry, it just peels right off when you want to take it off, we used to make glue impressions of our finger prints when I was little. Some of the dumb things I used to do, but hey if it'll work. I'd be really careful about putting it directly on the areolas though, if they don't cover anymore area than that. Oooh, looks like Wal-Mart sells a couple different shields, I'll have to see if I can find them at the one I shop at and get them to try.