OFF TOPIC HEALTH WARNING!

Teeny Tiny

Hi all! This has nothing to do with noogling, but I felt I had to pass it on to all my fellow nooglers. I wouldn't want anything to happen to any of my noogleberry family members, you all are too dear to me! I received this in an email recently and felt you all should be warned as well, please copy, paste, and email to anyone you care about...

WASH THEM FIRST Please Don't Erase this message before forwarding on!
Same applies to Beer.

This is Serious!
This incident happened recently in North Texas.
A woman went boating one Sunday, taking with her some cans of coke which she put into the refrigerator of the boat.
On Monday she was taken to the hospital and placed in the Intensive Care Unit.
She died on Wednesday.

The autopsy concluded she died of Leptospirosis.
This was traced to the can of coke she drank from, not using a glass.
Tests showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine and hence the disease Leptospirosis.

Rat urine contains toxic and deadly substances.
It is highly recommended to thoroughly wash the upper part of all soda cans before drinking out of them.
The cans are typically stocked in warehouses and transported straight to the shops without being cleaned.

A study at NYCU showed that the tops of all soda cans are more contaminated than public toilets (i.e.). full of germs and bacteria.
So wash them before putting them to the mouth to avoid any kind of fatal accident.

Please forward this message to all the people you care about.
I JUST DID!

Rat urine is not the only thing that can contaminate the cans, people handling them that are sick or have used the restroom without using proper oral hygiene can also contaminate them with germs and bacteria. I have almost always wiped the tops of my soda cans before drinking out of them, and have gotten sick several times after eating and drinking a can of soda and couldn't figure out what it was, because I knew what I ate had to be safe. So now I wash the tops, but don't stop there, I wash the whole can, top to bottom. My hubby is especially dear to me and takes sodas to work with him so I told him to only take cans out of the fridge with him. I've got a shelf dedicated to soda with several rows of all the different flavors we have that have been thoroughly washed for him to choose from.

But soda cans are not the only thing I wash before opening, I wash any can before I open it, that way I don't have to worry about any contaminants getting in the food as I'm pouring it out of the can. Not to mention how many times I've used a can opener to open a can of food and the lid ends up partially pushed into the can, which puts any germs or bacteria that may have been on the lid in direct contact with the contents. If Soda cans can be contaminated, so can any other can that you buy, because they're all stored and handled the same way. Granted, if you cook their contents properly the temperature should kill the germs and bacteria, but why take a chance. And I'm especially careful to clean any cans that are currently in our house because I've recently caught a rat that was loose in our house, helping herself to whatever she wanted in our pantry. So now I have to go through anything she's had access to and decide whether it's safe to use or whether I should just throw it out and replace it. She especially loved stealing my packages of top ramen soup I keep on hand for emergency snacks when money is tight, so now I have to figure out how to determine if they're safe to use, and how to disinfect any I decide to keep without contaminating the food inside should it not be sealed tight. As cheap as they are I think I'll just throw them out and replace them, but store them in a rat proof container, if there is such a thing.

In case anyone doesn't know what Leptospirosis is and would like to find out, here's a link for you to look at...

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/leptospirosis_g.htm

Sorry this message was sooo long, just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of the dangers associated with cans and other food items that may have been contaminated. :-X

bonzaigirl

... ooohhh the poor woman... but thanks for posting this teeny... our and our loveones health are our top priority before anything else...

username

Thank u so much...it does make sense...just never thought about it... specially with can openers, happens that the lid partially touch the food...
Well appreciated...
Thanks again...

Aim4c

Teeny Tiny,

I have heard of something similar many years ago. Cleaning the top of cans before opening them is such a part of me...and hopefully will become second nature for anyone who reads this email....this is so sad!

Thanks for posting this!

Teeny Tiny

There are so many good people on this forum that I couldn't help but pass it on.

Noogleberry and everyone here on the forum has become a large part of my life and I'd hate to see anything happen to any of the nooglers or company staff because of this issue. I hope this helps save all of my fellow nooglers from suffering or dying from such a terrible thing. :-X

M

morninghello

Hi, Teeny Tiny. Actually, it seems that this story and it's claims aren't really true. Please see this link: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/raturine.asp

nickies

;)

Hey ya'll!!! I actually saw this on a show called MythBusters where they did test on hundreds of cans. They also put live rats on the can to see them urinate on them. But what they concluded was that the story is just a myth for the traces are very small, almost undetectable, and harmless. Also they concluded that lepto bacteria would die before reaching consumers. Youtube it. It probably is on there. Also if your drinking can soda in another country with poor sanitation, of course BEWARE!!!

Teeny Tiny

Regardless whether the story is a myth or not, the potential for illness from this sort of thing is real. I know as I've gotten sick from drinking out of a soda can before. I imagine the cans that look perfectly clean and shiny without anything visibly on them are harmless, but I know I've gotten many cans out of vending machines or other places that were absolutely filthy on top, those are the ones I am far more worried about. But there was also a personal message written on the top of the email from a family member that I did not include in the original message, which is what made me more eager to pass it on. Here's what was said...

Janet,
this is all very true and we learned this through Justin's transplant. When it was time to bring him home, we had to take very serious actions in our home with our environment and food. We had to wash cans in warm soapy water, all of our cans and still wipe the top and opening with a alcohol wipe. Not only the feces that can come from any critter walking around the warehouses, but the handling that is done by the workers that go to the bathroom and don't practice good hygiene by washing their hands. I realize Justin's situation was the extreme but something to think about by all. Children and the old are very suspectible. We don't want to overdo it, we need to build these immunities, but I think in our on real life we get plenty exposed. Thanks for the email.
Gerri

I imagine for those that are healthy there isn't much if anything to worry about, but for the really young, really old, or people with health conditions or sensitivity to bacteria like myself there's a bit more risk involved, therefore regardless of how minimal the risk might be, it's one I'm not taking. :-X

that1spaztichik

I agree, Teeny...even if it's proven false or whatever...soda cans are generally just dirty! Who wants to drink dirt? No dirty Dr. Pepper for me :)

S

sissy2345

Oh for sure. Next time you have a can of pop, take a white paper towel, wipe the top and get down in the crevice all the way around a couple of times, you will for sure have gunk on the towel. Same for cans of food. When you open a can of vegetables or tuna, don't we all use the top to help drain the water or oil, whatever was on the can, is getting rinsed and mixed in with the food.

People think I'm OCD about things like this, but I think it's just common sense. Plus, once you do wipe a can off and see the gunk, trust me you can't go back to not wiping!

that1spaztichik

my mom actually bought this nifty little gizmo for draining tuna. not only is it easier because it actually fits inside the can (and the lid really doesn't very well, since it's the same diameter) but it makes me feel better because I'm not sticking the dirty lid in my food! :)