"The Science" - Take 2

Moogleberry

Before all of the forum posts got wiped I had posted an article about something called Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT) that I've seen used in hospitals to help treat big wounds. A lot of people have asked me to repost the original article and the translation into normal people speak that my friend kindly gave us. Sadly, I cannot find this article anywhere.

But essentially it was a study that tested the vacuum therapy on healthy skin on people's arms. They found that blood flow and stretching of the skin cells (which encourages them to divide) was most effective when pressure was applied at 125mmHg (we still haven't worked out what this is) at intervals of 5-7 minutes on, 2 minutes off.
Hence the 7:2 method was born.

Here's what wikipedia has to say.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative-pressure_wound_therapy

Here's a nursing journal article outlining it's use.
http://www.nursingtimes.net/nursing-practice/clinical-zones/wound-care/using-negative-pressure-therapy-in-wound-healing/5048877.article

Aaaand, possibly most helpfully is a discussion on the effectiveness of NPWT, which does comment on the 5 minutes on, 2 minutes off interval. And interestingly says that it was effective when used for 2-3 hours daily.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/516862_2

I hope this helps some of you who weren't sure what the 7:2 method was. I hope it's coherent.

NadiOne

Thank you for posting this again, I've had great results with this method and I appreciate the science.

James

Just a little explanation of where the term inches Hg comes from. If you fill a tube full of mercury (Hg is the scientific short form for mercury) and turn it upside down so the open end is immersed in a bowl of mercury, then the weight of the mercury will leave an open space of vacuum at the top of the tube. (see picture). In normal atmospheric pressure (this changes as you go from sea level up a mountain), at sea level, the mercury will be about 30 inches high in the tube above the surface of the mercury outside the tube.

If you were then to put a hole in the top of the tube and let a little air in, the mercury would drop to a lower level. This would represent a partial vacuum. When we talk about 5"Hg, we are talking about a partial vacuum in the tube that would draw the mercury up 5 inches in the tube. This is 1/6 of a total vacuum.

index.php

125mm = 4.92" or about 5 inches.

Adding pictures of the Noogleberry hand pump with guage.

gauge.JPG
guagedhandpump.JPG

(added after Sweet's question below)
The inner scale is bar (1 bar is atmospheric pressure) and is correctly shown as negative numbers.
The outer scale is "Hg or inches mercury. I believe these numbers should be positive not negative as 30 represents full vacuum. However recommended pressure is about 5 (or -5), maximum of green area.

Attachments

• mercuryVacuum.jpg
    mercuryVacuum.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,051
  • mercuryVacuum3.jpg
    mercuryVacuum3.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 25

WishUponAStar

Sweets, that is correct as the gauge is marked in inches of Mercury (inHg or "Hg) so the 5"Hg refers to that number five on the gauge face in the green section.

I posted the following elsewhere under the new tools thread (where a member was asking about using gauged pump to take over duty of failed Brava Smartbox) but it will be useful here too so I will repost it;

To answer, scientifically, the question posed much earlier in this thread, about the use of the Noogleberry gauged pump in place of the failed Brava Smartbox/Sportbox: To begin with, vacuum (negative pressure) is expressed in many different units of measurement, and to convert them, one must mathematically use the proper unit conversion factors; luckily, to change from Inches of Mercury (inHg or "Hg)(what the gauge markings on the Noogleberry gauged pump reads) to millimeters of Mercury (what the Brava literature is indicated in) is quite easy - just remember that 1 inch of mercury (inHg/"Hg) is equal to 25.4 mm of mercury (mmHg).

- Per the link http://www.mybrava.com/using-your-graphs.asp it states that the Smartbox does not record the reading unless it senses the vacuum is at least 8 mmHg & that on the pressure graph (computer display of all the recorded Brava Smartbox measurements) the readings (taken automatically at 10 minute intervals) should be in the 15 to 33 mmHg vacuum range (0.59 - 1.30 inHg).

- Per the patent filing for patent # 5536233 http://www.google.com/patents/US5536233 inventor Dr. Roger H Khouri (Brava inventor)
indicates the domes are sufficiently strong to withstand an interior negative pressure of 35 mmHg (1.38 inHg) and that the therapeutic pressure related to the patent methodology is "regulating the vacuum to 35 mm Hg or less"

- Elsewhere, in some clinical trials info I've come across (last updated March 28, 2013 but not published yet (so just enter this: http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00466765?displayxml=true ) into your browser & scroll down to the main /bulky paragraph area or do a search on the page (Control-F on my computer) for mmHg); the clinical trial info was for another procedure (I believe also pioneered by Dr. Roger H Khouri - where the vacuum breast tissue expansion precedes and afterwards aids recovery/maintenance of fat tissue grafts, into the breasts, from other body regions) - it indicates "Pressure will range from 15 mmHg to 105mmHg and will be achieved and regulated by either SmartBox, bulb syringe and/or Brava Turbo devices. This will open up the tissue planes and maximally expand the recipient breast in preparation for graft insertion". These reported pressure indications would mean vacuum levels of 0.59 - 4.13 inHg.

- Remember, the traditional (i.e. not combined w/ fat graft) Brava protocol was intended to have the domes worn for 10 hours daily, for 10+ weeks, in order to effect the advertised breast tissue expansion; many Nooglers are apparently going higher in pressure, for comparatively short daily wear/treatment times, and still reporting resultant tissue expansion. However, without a gauge to accurately indicate the vacuum pressure that was employed, the data & methodology cannot accurately be transmitted from one user, to be followed & hopefully replicated in another. As well, some are also reporting tissue irritation, discoloration and damage with their high vacuum methodologies, while they were in pursuit of the fastest breast growth. However, I do not recall any of these reports also containing numeric indications of the vacuum level achieved which led to the tissue complications; if it had been reported, the data & report would have been immensely more valuable for other Nooglers.

Personally, I would rather avoid further stretch marks on my body, or any other things which would detract from potential skin health/beauty, including in the breast area. I also feel it is much easier to be safe & consistent, in individual treatment applications, when vacuum levels are able to be monitored by an instrument wherein accurate perception of vacuum level is not influenced by subjective human physiological factors such as fatigue, hormones, hydration, etc.

Best wishes for all in their safe & comfortable noogling :)

puzzelena

I can not seem to work at a pressure greater than about 3 Hg. Is it sufficient for the growth of breasts? or is the pressure too low?

James

puzzelena said:
I can not seem to work at a pressure greater than about 3 Hg. Is it sufficient for the growth of breasts? or is the pressure too low?

I can't answer your question, but why can't you "work at a pressure...". Is it because there is a leak, and you have to continuously pump, or does it hurt too much. What cups are you using? You said the medium was too small, so that could be the problem or if you already have the CLs, are they oriented properly for best comfort? Using generous layer of safflower oil? Drinking lots of water? Massaging?

Then again maybe you shouldn't go to high pressure as your doctor advises you should wait longer.

BuxomBoobs

:) What a great post lots of great information, with regard to the pressure, you have to work at what your comfortable with.

I would only bring it to your own limit of comfort, mark that level and try to increase it gradually.

Say, keep it at 3 for a week, then try to get a bit more the next but never more than you can deal with ...

Bit of trial and error there you know? And be very careful if you take a few days off to not push it right back up start a little lower than where you left off.

It does not matter if you can get it to 5 right away, you will still get results and if you can increase it a week or four down the road you KNOW you have made progress/growth.

Keep pumping ;D

AngelicHeart

I have just found this pdf: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.393.457&rep=rep1&type=pdf

It relates to Vacuum-Assisted Closure for the Treatment of Abdominal Wounds. I've not read through it and your links properly yet but I shall do later. I have been pretty open about my Noogleberry use so far with close ones so it will be good to know some of the science in case they ask.

A x