What size Armacell insulation should I use to pad medium domes?

mochaccino

I think it used to be known as "Armaflex". Is it even possible to use pipe insulation to pad medium domes, or is the diameter of the domes just too small? I'm open to getting large cups if absolutely necessary, but I still need to know exactly what size of Armacell will work, preferably the the way it's written on the package. I know most people use a 1/2" wall thickness, but I also need to know the diameter.

Matt B

Hi Domino,I think it would be cheaper to find a yoga mat at a yard sale.Or,go to an RV place and get a roll of camper tape.

Matt B

I don't think so,but it comes in different widths,and you stick it around the edges of the cups and you're good to go.

mochaccino

Hmmm... sounds good. Still haven't decided which way to go. I just found out someone used the "regular" sized Armacell on a large dome by cutting it down to a third of it's original circumference. I still don't know what's meant by "regular" diameter. It sounds like it would be super difficult to cut it evenly. Would it be much more difficult to attach if I cut it unevenly? I may as well try, I guess.

About the campers tape, is 2" wide enough?

mochaccino

How do you seal the seam where the tape meets? Someone said they overlap it, but it looks so thick, I don't see how that would work. Is 3/16" the right thickness?